Watch, Watched, Watching: It's Award Season

Just now, Corvinus85 said:

20 years ago I enjoyed watching that show about ancient battles which used the Rome Total War graphics to showcase the battles while historians were talking.

Time Commanders! Yes I loved that show, was obsessed by it. In retrospect it was probably a bit crap and didn’t really give enough detail of the history and didn’t show off the game enough either. But seeing Total War on screen was just mindblowing.

I watched Bastarden (English title: The Promised Land), a Danish film starring Mads Mikkelsen (who else). It tells the story of a captain of humble origins who, after concluding his military career (the film is set in the back half of the 18th century), seeks to tame the Danish heather and make it ready for settlement.

As this was the pet project of the Danish King, success meant ennoblement and sundry other rewards, but alas, the local dignitaries do not want a new colony in their spheres of influence. Enter the central conflict of the film between Mads' character and a particularly heinous young landowner.

All in all, I was very glad to have seen it. The film is not particularly original, from the basic description above you know what you are going to get, but it is executed very well. What is particularly nice about it, is the fact that it is abundantly clear that this is not an American film. There are several rather graphic elements that I think would not make it in a sanitised American flick.

The performances were all great of course, but what else can you expect with Mads Mikkelsen in the lead. He really bolts the plot of this entire film down, which is quite a lot of work, because they don't kid around with the number of subplots in the film. The film is delightfully abrupt with some of those, but if you didn't buy into the central performance, I think it would be hard to enjoy it. 

I wish more actors would go back and forth between these type of smaller films and blockbusters. In case of Mads Mikkelsen, he has of course more incentive to do so, since he's usually the villain in Hollywood, while he can play heroic characters in Danish films. Still on principle, it's nice to see that exchange of talent and ideas between various cinema's.

If you get the chance to see Bastarden, I'd definitely recommend it.

16 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

20 years ago I enjoyed watching that show about ancient battles which used the Rome Total War graphics to showcase the battles while historians were talking.

Yeah, I loved that - Time Commanders; Mike Loades is (was?) always quality

Edited by Which Tyler

Finally watched Barbie.  Okay, Gosling does a very good job in keeping just the right tone throughout the movie and the production design is unique and inventive.  That's all I got.  

Equalizer 3.  Stylish.  Violent.  Denzel.  Three thumbs up.  

2 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Alabama?

ROLL TIDE!

In other news, watched for the very first time the late William Friedkin's dark, cynical, thrilling Sorcerer, an adaptation of the French novel by Georges Arnaud which was previously adapted to film as Wages of Fear. Four men (a hoodlum on the lam from the mob [lead role for Roy Schneider, reuniting with Friedkin after The French Connection], a Palestinian terrorist on the run from Mossad, a French investment banker on the run from the law, and ... the fourth changes from a likely ex-Nazi to a Mexican hitman looking for a payday) in the midst of the jungle are hired to take two trucks with cases of highly volatile nitroglycerin to a remote worksite to blow out an oil well fire. Desperation, rage, terror, death, and madness ensues.

It was a box office disappointment and was made on a very large budget, but it has held up as one of Friedkin's best films. It was just too dark and cynical for audiences of the time. Terrific pacing, too, especially once the truck mission starts, it just barrels along. 

Edited by Ran

On 2/2/2024 at 8:02 PM, TheLastWolf said:

I'm going to finish Dark

I think we're a perfect match, never believe anything else

sniff

Eyes Wide Shut is a misunderstood masterpiece. 

Deadwood pilot has me hooked. Not sorry to drop Boardwalk empire after s2. Al Swearangen reminded me of how I fell in love with old TV. How The Sopranos and The Wire felt not so long ago. Damn fine these three Davids.

I watched Past Lives and quite enjoyed it. It seemed designed as a direct repudiation of Korean romance movies, which love to rhapsodize poisonous relationships. The relationships portrayed in this movie weren't necessarily healthy, nor were the characters terribly likeable (the protagonist was a bit of a narcissist), but, refreshingly, characters communicated like adults, and the narrative did not endorse destructive romanticism like so many movies out there.

The movie gave a nice sense of faint melancholy and acceptable of one's chosen path. Well done.

Watched Aniara this weekend. It's a Swedish movie I watched with English subtitles, didn't know that before starting it. It's a sci fi movie about people transporting from Earth to Mars. They don't say Earth is dying but do give glimpses of issues and many people have what appear to be scars from fires.

It goes awry and shows their version of what would happen on a ship the size of a city that was meant for a few month journey that they are on much longer. What happens to the people, their mental states, water, food etc.

Spoiler

I liked the way they showed the time jumps especially the last one, like 8 million years go by as they pass a planet that looks similar to Earth.

Decent enough movie, nothing specifically remarkable except for one scene.

Spoiler

I thought we were going to get by without seeing the dead child but nope.

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

Watched Aniara this weekend

It's an adaptation of an epic poem from the 50s by Harry Martinson, who became a Nobel prize winner a couple of decades later, sharing the prize with another Swede, Eyvind Johnson.

Rather controversial, that, because both men were members of the Swedish Academy, the body that makes the selection. Martinson, apparently deeply upset about criticism that dogged him afterwards, killed himself a few years later. A shame, as he was and remains one of Sweden's greatest authors of the 20th century, and deserved the recognition.

13 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

I think we're a perfect match, never believe anything else

sniff

Eyes Wide Shut is a misunderstood masterpiece. 

Deadwood pilot has me hooked. Not sorry to drop Boardwalk empire after s2. Al Swearangen reminded me of how I fell in love with old TV. How The Sopranos and The Wire felt not so long ago. Damn fine these three Davids.

*Stares at the bold*

Watched a few things recently:

Firstly, I've actually been putting The American Office (yes that is it's name) on in the background and have been enjoying it. To be honest I've never really gelled with it, I was such a big fan of the UK original that the US version seems so tame and bubblegum in comparison. I get why it became so popular, it's a lot more wholesome and feelgood in comparison, but that was something that always put me off. It is an interesting case of how a show found it's own path, Michael Scott is actually a pretty different take on David Brent. 

Then I decided to watch 'Knock at the Cabin'. You know what, it was pretty enjoyable, M Night movies are sometimes mindnumbingly dumb and unsatisfying, and so is this one, but they are always entertaining to a point. The message on this one is so on the nose that it's off-putting, but it's amazing I can watch his movies and still have fun.

Then watched 'Mr & Mrs Smith' with Donald Glover. I was a little wary going into this because it seemed like one more show based on a movie that didn't need to exist, and 'oh look now it has more diversity' so that is a reason to remake something. In reality though, this bares almost no relation to the Jolie Pitt movie, and it's much better. It has a Glover vibe that is subtle and low energy at times, but always does it with a sense of purpose and momentum. The first episode really grabbed me, the chemistry between the leads is fantastic and they have really captured a sense of character.

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Then watched 'Mr & Mrs Smith' with Donald Glover. I was a little wary going into this because it seemed like one more show based on a movie that didn't need to exist, and 'oh look now it has more diversity' so that is a reason to remake something. In reality though, this bares almost no relation to the Jolie Pitt movie, and it's much better. It has a Glover vibe that is subtle and low energy at times, but always does it with a sense of purpose and momentum. The first episode really grabbed me, the chemistry between the leads is fantastic and they have really captured a sense of character.

I originally thought it was going to be what you thought; a remake of the movie but with diversity but it's so much more. We are really enjoying it. Completely different from the movie in almost every way and it totally works. It very much has Glover's hands all over it, with some seriously whacky scenarios and incredibly awkward moments. It has more of an Atlanta vibe (which makes sense given Glover's and Francesca Sloane co-creating it) than a sexy ode to assassins like the movie and it's better for it. For those that like Sepinwall, here is his fantastic take on it. Spoiler, he likes it a lot.

Also, the cameos are hilarious. Every episode so far has had one or two big ones. Cracking me up.

Edited by Mexal

Watched The Master Gardener, Paul Schrader's latest film, the other day. Starring Joel Edgerton, Sigourney Weaver, and Quintessa Swindell (as well as a small role for Esai Morales), it's a very Schrader sort of film, and I'm not sure it's entirely successful. Edgerton plays the head gardener of an estate garden in Louisiana, in what seems clearly to once have been a plantation, for Weaver's character. It's clear that Edgerton is a very disciplined man with a very dark past which is revealed without too much of a delay. The crux of the film's conflict comes when Weaver's grand-niece (played by Swindell) comes into the story, an orphan whose mother died from drugs and who Weaver feels some vague obligation to. She asks Edgerton to take her on as an apprentice, and things start to spiral from there.

It's definitely no First Reformed, but it can be intriguing and morally complicated at times, and Weaver is quite good. Edgerton is an actor I can take or leave generally. He's fine here, but I  can't help but wonder if some other actor might have not worked better in the part.

I also watched Mr. and Mrs. Smith recently. I liked the movie more but the series grew on me. I will be waiting for season 2.

Watched Dune part 1.  I never saw the original so this was all new to me. I guess I liked it, but I don't like it when I know it's just a set up for the next movie. 

Spoiler

I don't understand how one group could be in charge of the planet for years/decades and not know that there are 100x more indigenous people there than they estimated. The group appears to be vastly more advanced in technology but the other group who gets put in charge finds this out almost immediately?