Star Wars: Far Far Away From What You Want It To Be

SpaceChampion

4 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Final Season?

Not surprised, but dammit, especially with that reveal at the end.

Spoiler

So Dark Disciple is no longer canon. Or at least they've retconned it and said Ventress was saved, ahem, somehow.

Edited by Corvinus85

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

Not surprised, but dammit, especially with that reveal at the end.

Hide contents

So Dark Disciple is no longer canon. Or at least they've retconned it and said Ventress was saved, ahem, somehow.

One of the executive producers said: "We don't want to spoil anything, but want fans to know that any new storytelling with Ventress will align with the events of Star Wars: Dark Disciple.”

So apparently narrative consistency is front of mind for them. Whether or not they succeed is another matter.

I am grateful to anything these days that makes me laugh, and this advice column did that.

Judge John Hodgman’s Case for Categorizing ‘Star Wars’ as Fantasy
The series has never been science fiction.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/25/magazine/judge-john-hodgmans-case-for-categorizing-star-wars-as-fantasy.html

Michelle writes: Every time “Star Wars” is referenced in an article as science fiction, my husband rants about it. He says it’s fantasy. I’ve read him multiple definitions of science fiction, but he refuses to acknowledge that he’s wrong.

I hate these labels. But I do like clicks, so I’ll say it: “Star Wars” is not science fiction. Yes, it has spaceships and laser guns, but as the film screams from its first frame, it doesn’t care about the future, only our lost utopias — a hallmark of fantasy since Tolkien. That’s why the Millennium Falcon can make the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs when a parsec is a unit of distance, not time. It doesn’t need dilithium crystals. It sails through scientific plot holes on the far more potent gas of nostalgia — samurai movies and serialized westerns. And if anyone disagrees with me, please: Give in to your anger. Your ranting about it online will only make me stronger.

On 1/30/2024 at 4:15 PM, Myrddin said:

"Your ranting about it online will only make me stronger."

I think this is the motto of most people on this forum Reddit.

This reminds me of something I came across on Reddit actually:

The cake is a lie; there are only cookies.
Through cookies I gain weight.
Through weight I gain obesity
Through obesity my chair is broken.
Calories will set me free.

1 hour ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

This reminds me of something I came across on Reddit actually:

The cake is a lie; there are only cookies.
Through cookies I gain weight.
Through weight I gain obesity
Through obesity my chair is broken.
Calories will set me free.

Did you ever hear the tragedy of the Muffin Man?

Edited by Corvinus85

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2024 at 8:21 AM, Corvinus85 said:

Really solid start to the final season of The Bad Batch with 3 episodes, especially the Omega & Crosshair stuff.

Absolutely agree with this. Bad Batch seemed like it was going to be something so different from what it became when it first started.  

Will they stick the landing?

First episodes were fine and pretty slow. Having the two least interesting characters of the Bad Batch be the last of the Batch hurts a bit. Hemlock is at least a very good loathsome villain. 

42 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

More on the upcoming Acolyte series courtesy of io9, which just sounds intensely meh. Is there *anyone* who's excited for or interested in this? 

Honestly I only clicked on this thread because of muscle memory. I need to work on that.

I made it through seven episodes of Ashoka. That was the end for me. I said I was out and I'm out, dammit. 

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Honestly I only clicked on this thread because of muscle memory. I need to work on that.

I made it through seven episodes of Ashoka. That was the end for me. I said I was out and I'm out, dammit. 

Breathe the free air again, my friend.

2 hours ago, IlyaP said:

More on the upcoming Acolyte series courtesy of io9, which just sounds intensely meh. Is there *anyone* who's excited for or interested in this? 

Me. It sounds great. I won't be excited as such until we start seeing footage at least, because I have no idea who the showrunner is, but previous statements about it make it sound like a whole lot of exactly what I'd wanted Star Wars to be trying for ages and ages. From the wikipedia page:

Headland's pitch for the series was to explore the franchise from the perspective of the villains, and felt the High Republic era would be the best point in the timeline to do this because "the bad guys are wildly outnumbered [at that point and are] the underdogs".[17] She noted that The Acolyte is "the earliest in the Star Wars timeline that we have ever been in live-action" and that the series would not feature any overarching conflicts or wars, but rather "peace throughout the galaxy", going on to describe it as "interesting to make a Star Wars with no war in it". She also noted that battles would still be present in the series, and the lack of an overarching conflict would mean they would occur in a "more intimate setting" while containing choreography with elements of martial arts.[23] Her approach primarily began with brainstorming of ways to challenge the status quo, as she found the practice of Jedi training children "strange". Being cognizant of fan criticisms of various plot elements, such as Darth Sidious's ascension to power without Yoda knowledge, she decided to address them, stating that "I'd like to try to take a crack at just asking some of the questions that maybe other people wouldn't necessarily think to ask or people have asked, but maybe not on a level where they were lucky enough to get the opportunity to make it actually happen like myself".[24] She also pitched the series as "Frozen meets Kill Bill".[10] Lucasfilm had just launched a new series of books set in the High Republic era, and were interested in exploring it further with the series. The company was also interested in exploring new parts of the Star Wars timeline away from the films and other series such as The Mandalorian.[17] Headland said the series would explore the "political, personal, and spiritual" elements from the High Republic era. This was a way to explain how Emperor Palpatine could infiltrate the Galactic Senate during the films, with Headland asking "How did we get to a point where a Sith lord can infiltrate the Senate and none of the Jedi pick up on it? [What] went wrong?" She described the High Republic era as "the Renaissance, or the Age of Enlightenment", and noted that the Jedi Order would not yet be the "ascetic monk like figures living selflessly and bravely" that they are seen as in the films, instead wearing "uniforms [that] are gold and white, and it's almost like they would never get dirty... that's how little they're getting into skirmishes".[2]

If they land it quality-wise I think there's loads of promise there. 

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Me. It sounds great. I won't be excited as such until we start seeing footage at least, because I have no idea who the showrunner is, but previous statements about it make it sound like a whole lot of exactly what I'd wanted Star Wars to be trying for ages and ages. From the wikipedia page:

If they land it quality-wise I think there's loads of promise there. 

Sounds ok, until you read comments by everyone involved in the project and realise it has zero chance of being good.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

"Frozen meets Kill Bill" ???

How does that even work????

With a song and a lot of killing, of course.

The saber glows red on the mountain tonight
Not a Jedi to be seen
A kingdom of hatred
And it looks like I'm the queen

The Force is howling like this swirling storm inside
Couldn't keep it in, Mortis knows I tried
Don't let them in, don't let them see
From the shadows strike, then they'll see
Conceal, don't feel, don't let them know
Well, now they know

Let it flow, let it flow
I am one with the Sith and sky