Watch, Watched, Watching: Watching Severance and working for Lumon

Veltigar

On 3/22/2024 at 4:10 PM, RhaenysBee said:

Well if the rumors that Kevin Costner is leaving the show are true, than things will go downhill pretty quickly, I expect. But it was a fine fine experience while it lasted and I can move on to the Harrison Ford spinoff now. No expectations for those though.

Dont skip "1883" either. I think I'd view that before "1923".

All 3 of the Yellowstone chronology are fun imo, with '1923' and "1883" there are more bittersweet aspects at work in the story.

Watched the first episode of Elsbeth and yes this world is maybe overworked a bit but she was always my favorite guest. It worked tbh. The initial set up was interestingly done, there were good dynamics between all the characters, and the serial aspect of introduced at the end is a solid hook. Definitely on my weekly watch list. 

35 minutes ago, Underfoot said:

Watched the first episode of Elsbeth and yes this world is maybe overworked a bit but she was always my favorite guest. It worked tbh. The initial set up was interestingly done, there were good dynamics between all the characters, and the serial aspect of introduced at the end is a solid hook. Definitely on my weekly watch list. 

Tascioni is quite the character, superbly performed by Preston. I'm down too. 

There is a 'Gran Turismo' movie, that is not 'Gran Torino' by Clint Eastwood, and I watched it.

It's opening 10 minutes is bizarre. It's maybe the closest to an actual advertisement for a product I have ever experienced in a movie. It opens with a montage of the creator of the Gran Turismo game and how he created the greatest driving game the universe has ever seen. 

Outside of that element, which was utterly shameless, I quite enjoyed the movie. The main kid who sits in his room playing games all day actually seemed pretty grounded in reality. There were also surprisingly ok performance from Orlando Bloom and Ginger Spice!

I watched Amazon's Road House. It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, especially the first part of the movie until McGregor shows up with his stupid, cringe grin. Gyllenhaal was good. I didn't particularly care for the crazy camera movement during otherwise well choreographed fight scenes.

Edited by Corvinus85

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

i had to turn it off after 10 mins, the bar owner and the girl in the book store were 2 of the worst actors i've ever seen in my life. 

I fell asleep like a baby before I even got that far.

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

Counterpoint: If 1989 Road House sucks ass, 1989 Batman does too.

Talk about throwing an unexpected Molotov cocktail. You're not wrong though. 

10 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

i had to turn it off after 10 mins, the bar owner and the girl in the book store were 2 of the worst actors i've ever seen in my life. 

Ok, skip over to about halfway when McGregor shows up and let me know where he compares on the scale of worst actors. :P

Edit:

This might be the best scene in the movie from a it's so bad it's hilarious perspective.

Edited by Corvinus85

8 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Yeah. People remember it as being dark, as for most, their prior Batman experience was the TV show.

Wat ch ing it now expecting a dark film, only to see the Joker and his (matching outfit) goons prancing around a museum while Prince blasts out of a ghetto blaster one of them is carrying.

Also weird how old Bruce is. It’s been 30 years since his parents’ murder (which has been forgotten by the city pretty much), so he must be in his late 30’s at the youngest.

2 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Wat ch ing it now expecting a dark film, only to see the Joker and his (matching outfit) goons prancing around a museum while Prince blasts out of a ghetto blaster one of them is carrying.

Well, he did murder everyone in the building with poison gas first, that's pretty dark.  And that's hardly the only example of mass murder in the movie.  Joker gasses a bunch of people at the end too.  And Batman also blows up that chemical factory, killing everyone inside, including (presumably) a bunch of innocent people just doing their jobs. 

19 hours ago, DMC said:

Road House sucks ass.  Not the new one, the original.  It's funny in a Mystery Science Theater 3000 way, but otherwise, that movie is a piece of shit on Swayze's flowing locks.  There, I said it.

Kelly Lynch alone makes it bearable. 

22 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Yeah. People remember it as being dark, as for most, their prior Batman experience was the TV show.

Also weird how old Bruce is. It’s been 30 years since his parents’ murder (which has been forgotten by the city pretty much), so he must be in his late 30’s at the youngest.

Keaton was 38 when he made it so that tracks.

Bale was 31 when he made Batman Begins.

On 3/26/2024 at 4:08 AM, Argonath Diver said:

On 3/26/2024 at 5:21 AM, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

You're not wrong though. 

23 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Were any of you goofy kids actually old enough to remember 1989? 

Yeah, it's not a modern CBM. The world is a bit penny arcade; the action is a bit stiff by modern standards; it doesn't really take its world seriously (in later films at least). but trust me, that thing went off like an atom bomb back in the day. 

I'll tell ya this for nothing: Everything I just wrote could easily apply to Donner's Superman. But Burton's Batman ages a hell of a lot better than Donner's Superman does. And I loved that film.

Yeah it's weird they aged Batman up so much.

I loved Batman Returns as a kid but watched it relatively recently and was disappointed in how goofy it was.

I don't like the Burton films anymore. I think people mainly liked it because they were just happy they didn't get an Adam West version

Also Tim Burton, like Zack Snyder., didn't give a crap that Batman's not supposed to kill.

My favourite Batman movies are the Arkham games.

Constellation (season 1?) was a good, quite compelling show. Strong performances all around. I did not expect such an open end, so here's hoping there is a second season.

Spoiler

An interesting take on the theories about quantum entanglement. It reminded me a bit of Event Horizon, but without the extreme goriness and shock horror. 

I've always thought the old Superman movies weren't very good, not that the new ones are much better. Smallville was the best for me and even that was just meh. 

I don't think the character transfers well to the big screen. Superman For All Seasons is a great comic, but that's in part because it's told from everyone else's view. Superman himself isn't that interesting. I always compare him to Goku from DBZ. Whenever the show just focuses on him it's rather boring once he becomes all power. He's bland. The other characters are what makes the show entertaining, especially Vegeta who is an all-time antihero.