US Politics: The sides have gotten… weird

On 3/2/2024 at 1:51 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Well… according to Putin… if you speak Russian you are Russian… so…

Can Zelenskyy run in the Russian election against Putin?

8 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Can Zelenskyy run in the Russian election against Putin?

I hope not, wouldn't that just become a form of suicide? 

On 3/2/2024 at 7:34 AM, Zorral said:

So you recommend something far more radical? Or less radical? To keep the fascists from committimg prolonged, escalating violence committed w/out consequences for them, while the rest of us either kowtow to their murdering, executing, humiliating, degrading, raping -- yes, that too -- oppressing, censoring, destroying the economy, finishing off the health system by prohibiting the arts and sciences, technology, medications, vaccines, surgical procedures, aiding and abetting climate catastrophe -- and bringing in Putin to rule us all and with one ring bind us all, with or w/out him?  But you won't pay taxes and will sing praises to the deliverer in mandatory church services several times a week!

Very curious to learn how you thread that needle!

I'm not really sure how you got to this from what I wrote. Perhaps I didn't state clearly enough what I was thinking.

I was not suggesting any course of action, I was merely remarking that I thought it would be better in the long term if Trump was defeated again in an election and then sent to jail, rather than being sent to jail before the election (which I am doubtful about the outcome in the timeframe even if the supreme court had not stepped in).

I think I am a lot more optimistic/woefully deluded than most people on this board and there seemed to be a lot of despair about the supreme courts decision to hear the immunity case. I think Ukraine will win in the long term with even moderate western assistance, and I think Trumps support and strength peaked around this last November. I'm definitely not suggesting MAGA cultists should be pandered to or any lenience should be shown to Trump, but eventually the issue of the MAGA crowd does need to be addressed and dealt with. I have no idea how you do this as I am continually shocked by their absolute lack of reasoning but I do think they gain strength in numbers. The best way to address them might be a gradual erosion until they lose interest. If Trump was sent to jail before the election there may well an explosion in their numbers fueled by some sort of righteous anger.

So... Trump wins Super Tuesday this month. His trial for insurrection gets underway in June. He claims the Republican nomination in July - and then gets convicted of insurrection in September. This could be a can of worms..

9 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

So... Trump wins Super Tuesday this month. His trial for insurrection gets underway in June. He claims the Republican nomination in July - and then gets convicted of insurrection in September. This could be a can of worms..

Yeah, the republic is not in a healthy place. Even though I despise the man and we all know he's guilty of any number of things, I can't find joy in his legal woes. They are opening fissures in our society that will not be easily closed.

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

Or what if he or Biden suffer some health issue that prevents them from serving. Let's face it, Biden is looking pretty feeble these days and Trump isn't in great shape either. He's older now than Biden was at the same date back in 2020 (by about 6 months).

What would probably happen is one or the other will get elected and the Electoral college would negotiate a compromise candidate. Remember that they don't actually have to follow what the electorate says. 

Or.

They'll remain vertical long enough to get sworn in and the immediately step aside for their running mate. 

1 hour ago, Jace, Extat said:

Yeah, the republic is not in a healthy place. Even though I despise the man and we all know he's guilty of any number of things, I can't find joy in his legal woes. They are opening fissures in our society that will not be easily closed.

No. Delivering a modicum of justice is not, in fact, "opening fissures."

The fissures were opened long ago by the now-fully fascist Republican Party that had increasingly rejected democracy and the rule of law for decades. The cracks existed beforehand, but they started to pull apart drastically during Nixon's time... Not as late as Watergate or his other scandals in office, but when he committed treason to narrowly win the 1968 presidential election. (A playbook imitated by Reagan in 1980.)

I would be remiss not to mention the actual, literal stolen election of 2000. Is it even worth mentioning the stunning corruption of Bush's own brother being the Governor of Florida who directed its Secretary of State to purge voting rolls, of no less than three Republican justices having conflicts of interest in Bush v. Gore that should have been grounds for recusal even beyond the naked partisanship they displayed, etc.?

The completely unchecked conservative media apparatus that deals with fabrications day and night, and which warps the narrative of all polity to favor Republicans because the legacy media uncritically adopts their stances in their efforts to appear "balanced," has perpetuated the radical and rapid rightward shift of the Republican Party, and that extends to their rejection of the rule of law.

These are the fissures that need to be healed. This, along with the sheer spinelessness of establishment Republicans throughout Trump's term and after his insurrection on January 6th, is what has warped the country, rotted its politics utterly, and resulted in at least 35% of the population living in an insane fantasy world. 

Trump facing any measure of justice is good, actually.

20 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

They'll remain vertical long enough to get sworn in and the immediately step aside for their running mate. 

Trump would never relinquish power, even if it the presidency (and soon-to-be dictatorship) wasn't now an existential tether for him to avoid all legal consequences.

So... if Biden wins the election in November of this year, dies immediately after eating a hearty Thanksgiving Dinner, and then Harris gets sworn in come January of 2025. I could see the Republicans challenging that one in court. They wouldn't have a case, but that wouldn't even slow them down.

The other one is Trump eating one hamburger too many two weeks before the election. I could see a lot of Republicans looking at Trump's running mate (whoever that will be) and demanding the election be delayed or some such.

Then again, all this might make things easier for AOC in 2028...

19 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

The other one is Trump eating one hamburger too many two weeks before the election. I could see a lot of Republicans looking at Trump's running mate (whoever that will be) and demanding the election be delayed or some such.

Alternatively, he'll succumb to the sheer cognitive decline and signs of dementia he's been exhibiting for months now.

I am far from a Biden fan, but isn't it ever so great to see the endless media coverage and manufactured problem of Biden's age with virtually no mention of Trump losing it? :cheers:

22 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Then again, all this might make things easier for AOC in 2028...

I fear this is wishful thinking on par with President Jesse Jackson, or President Martin Luther King, Jr., when those were discussed in their respective eras.

17 minutes ago, Many-Faced Votary said:

Alternatively, he'll succumb to the sheer cognitive decline and signs of dementia he's been exhibiting for months now.

I am far from a Biden fan, but isn't it ever so great to see the endless media coverage and manufactured problem of Biden's age with virtually no mention of Trump losing it? :cheers:

I fear this is wishful thinking on par with President Jesse Jackson, or President Martin Luther King, Jr., when those were discussed in their respective eras.

I have been seeing more and more social media posts and articles pointing out Trump's increasing incoherence.

The AOC thing stems from the majority of the conservative base being *OLD* - and dropping dead at an accelerating pace. I used to see this firsthand on my mail route in my deeply conservative corner of the country - over a dozen years, conservatives went from an overwhelming majority to a much smaller majority because they were dying. I figure that by 2028, enough of these people will be gone to where AOC might have a chance - especially because the issues that conservatives are in denial about will be overwhelming. 

Likewise, I am no fan of increasingly ancient politicians of either party clinging to office.

On 3/2/2024 at 10:07 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

I'm not always a fan of Politico, but this is a pretty good article on the Trial timeline...

Like any other goddamn defendant in a criminal matter, Trump's trial should be held as soon as possible, and not according to his convenience. If we have to try that asshole November 1, fine. 

8 hours ago, Jace, Extat said:

How in the world can you blame the fissures and dysfunctions and hatreds on  HIS legal situations? All of his own making? Thus suggesting further his manifold criminal and treasonous actions should be ignored,?  That's what he says!

U may not have meant that but what you commented comes through like that.

*Typos galore as typed on fone coz hotel wifi is crickets.

24 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Surprising no one except Ser Scot, the Supreme Court rules that Colorado and other states cannot keep Trump off the ballot for committing insurrection. 

By 9-0, although the three liberal justices dissent from some points of the majority ruling.

31 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Surprising no one except Ser Scot, the Supreme Court rules that Colorado and other states cannot keep Trump off the ballot for committing insurrection. 

And of course the Trumpanzees are celebrating this as a victory, but really what they won was the right for an insurrectionist to be on the ballot unless Congress removes him. That's like saying that since Woody Allen's relationship with Soon-Yi Previn isn't technically criminal it can't still be weird as hell.