MCU - Hawkeye v Snowcat

BigFatCoward

The one thing you can definitely say about Secret Invasion is that it was six hours of television.

Also, extended production timelines were not kind to the show's topicality. A few tanks on the borders of Ukraine? Oh no.

Spoiler

Carol Danver's powers are from the Tesseract, and shouldn't be transferred in her DNA. She's not an X-man! They really need to distinguish DNA-based powers from Infinity Stone powers. I mean, it seems as dumb as saying Giah gets Tony Stark's DNA therefore she can form an Iron Man suit around herself.

23 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:
  Hide contents

Carol Danver's powers are from the Tesseract, and shouldn't be transferred in her DNA. She's not an X-man! They really need to distinguish DNA-based powers from Infinity Stone powers. I mean, it seems as dumb as saying Giah gets Tony Stark's DNA therefore she can form an Iron Man suit around herself.

Spoiler

I'm not a huge fan of it either... they should have had Gravik try adding one or two powers first to ensure there wasn't an issue and then go from there, but nah...but it could, mind you could, be argued that in Carol's case, her DNA was altered when she gained her powers...I mean, Scarlet Witch got her powers from the Mind Stone but her DNA wasn't listed as one in the Harvest...nor was that of Dr. Strange, as he uses magic. And no mer Normie Human was there, such as Sam, Hawkeye, or Ant Man...

29 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'm not a huge fan of it either... they should have had Gravik try adding one or two powers first to ensure there wasn't an issue and then go from there, but nah...but it could, mind you could, be argued that in Carol's case, her DNA was altered when she gained her powers...I mean, Scarlet Witch got her powers from the Mind Stone but her DNA wasn't listed as one in the Harvest...nor was that of Dr. Strange, as he uses magic. And no mer Normie Human was there, such as Sam, Hawkeye, or Ant Man...

Spoiler

At one point it looks like one of them used Ebony Maw’s power… I thought he was using “magic” like Dr. Strange… hence the banter about spells in Infinity War

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:
  Hide contents

At one point it looks like one of them used Ebony Maw’s power… I thought he was using “magic” like Dr. Strange… hence the banter about spells in Infinity War

Spoiler

It was Maw's power. Pretty sure he's never actually been magical though.

That was a very disappointing ending to Secret Invasion

Spoiler

Neither Fury's face off with Krull-Rhodey nor the Giah and Gravik fight were very exciting or even satisfying.     Krull-Rhodey's attempts to get the President to launch the attack on Russia made him sound deranged, not inspiring confidence  in his advised course of action.  

And the plan to give Gravik exactly what he wanted to make himself the Superest of Skrulls and then trust that Giah could beat him in a fair fight was an incredibly stupid plan.   Plus, as discussed, how some of those powers from the Avengers could be passed just through DNA seemed a bit of stretch.

Edited by Leofric

I saw a headline before I watched the episode that said “She Hulk already made fun of the Secret Invasion finale a year ago.”

And without reading the article… I knew they were right. :lol: 

In search of something nice to say -

Spoiler

I found the visual shot of G'iah actually killing Gravik to be effective. It was sudden enough and impressive enough to sell it for me. 

Nothing in this show was enough to offset the loss of Mendelsohn though.

Edited by karaddin

12 hours ago, Heartofice said:

No I think it was Jupiter's Legacy that tipped me over the edge, coming off the back of the, actually good, Invincible I was left with zero motivation to ever watch anyone in a cape again.

I just looked this up online and...what in the fresh hell is this? And why is it wasting Josh Duhamel? 

Yea, I think I made the right call cancelling my Disney plus, after watching that final. I'm still technically stuck with it until the end of the year, but dam was that a horrible final. I almost feel like you could skip this show completely and not miss a beat at all.

So what purpose did the show serve, if any, for those who've watched all things MCU? I understand that this is meant to lead into The Marvels, but from what I'm reading here, at least two established characters died for absolutely no reason whatsoever, and I'm struggling to understand what if anything the show had to say based upon the observations of the smart, educated folk here. Did it reveal anything new or meaningful about Nick Fury, Rhodey, Talos, etc? Did it have any meaningful commentary on our modern world? Does this even need to exist? 

3 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

So what purpose did the show serve, if any, for those who've watched all things MCU? I understand that this is meant to lead into The Marvels, but from what I'm reading here, at least two established characters died for absolutely no reason whatsoever, and I'm struggling to understand what if anything the show had to say based upon the observations of the smart, educated folk here. Did it reveal anything new or meaningful about Nick Fury, Rhodey, Talos, etc? Did it have any meaningful commentary on our modern world? Does this even need to exist? 

Samuel L Jackson had a contract and not making it would not have saved that much money?

Just talking out of my ass. ;)

2 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

I think they were trying to make the Skrulls into an allegory for immigrants, but it sort fails as one, since the Skrulls are shapeshifters, with superpowers, who can very easily kill people, if they choose. It's one of those things, where the spirit is right, but the logic is wrong, if that makes sense.

19 minutes ago, sifth said:

I think they were trying to make the Skrulls into an allegory for immigrants, but it sort fails as one, since the Skrulls are shapeshifters, with superpowers, who can very easily kill people, if they choose. It's one of those things, where the spirit is right, but the logic is wrong, if that makes sense.

Set the table for why people start freaking out about superpowered “mutants” when people with superpowers had saved half the Universe from oblivion just a few years before?

Those of you excited to see The Marvels, just remember , if you’re a white dude, especially a ‘40 year old’ white dude, Brie Larson DOSENT like you or make films for you, it’s really not meant for you, just like a Wrinkle in Time which was for people of colour, especially young women of colour, so no one else can see and hold opinions on that film! It really wasn’t made for them.Brie Larson simply doesn't like your kind , she prefers people of colour like myself…even though I’ll never see her films :P 

Also, never make the mistake of asking Brie Larson if she’s left or write handed, she takes it as an insult. 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

But I'm not a white dude and I'm quite happy to have Brie Larson making movies for me. You can have Chris Pratt movies.

14 hours ago, IlyaP said:

I think the most charitable interpretation I can muster is that whatever this was originally trying to say got lost in the rewrites and reshoots that were necessitated by Russia invading Ukraine.

It had 4 months of reshoots, a very awkward line in this last episode about Russian tanks on borders, functionally zero involvement of the Russian government despite the story being all about tension between the US and Russia with someone trying to start a war, and the Skrulls base was a place that was either a USSR closed city (also Stalsk 12 from Tenet) or was originally meant to be Chernobyl and it looked a lot more the latter to me.

I don't know what it was originally trying to say, although I suspect something about the necessity of refugees needing to find a home was probably in there somewhere, but I think whatever was meant to be there was lost in that process.

If this is true it's quite remarkable they had 2 of only 9 seasons of shows get their original idea derailed by world events lol (FatWS seemed to lose a chunk of it's plot that was related to bioweapons due to covid)