Dating Thread: Hope Springs Eternal

17 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Money does tend to be the cause of tension in a lot of relationships, but usually if you are co-habiting together. If someone loses a large chunk of their income, your first instinct should be empathy. Anything else would set off alarm bells for me.

When we met i made over 3x what my wife made, now we make an almost identical amount of money, it doesn't erase real problems, but it gets rid of any financial tension.  

16 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Soft spoken. Intelligent (cute nerd). Bright like the rare December sunny day. 

Everything I'm not.

I just can’t let this slip. What happened? Is she still around? Is it forever too late to make a move or can you still try to ask her out?

A girl like that is the kind of girl you set your personal fears, anxiety and self-loathing aside for, and say something along the lines of, “Hey, I really enjoy talking to you, how would you like to go grab a coffee with me some time next week?” But it really depends on the situation so please let us know!

Your description of her as “everything I’m not” doesn’t seem correct by the way. You hang out on this forum, which means you’re a nerd just like the rest of us. I have no idea about your soft-spokenness, but you’re clearly not lacking intelligence. So you may have more in common than you think.

7 hours ago, Erik of Hazelfield said:

I just can’t let this slip. What happened? Is she still around? Is it forever too late to make a move or can you still try to ask her out?

It's kind of a big deal here when the girl is the senior. Plus as you noted we're nerds and have our hands full. She isn't going anywhere soon so I'll take it slow. 

A girl like that is the kind of girl you set your personal fears, anxiety and self-loathing aside for, and say something along the lines of, “Hey, I really enjoy talking to you, how would you like to go grab a coffee with me some time next week?” But it really depends on the situation so please let us know

Oh I've gone and done that, it was great but it didn't go anywhere with our busy schedules. We chat.

Your description of her as “everything I’m not” doesn’t seem correct by the way. You hang out on this forum, which means you’re a nerd just like the rest of us. I have no idea about your soft-spokenness, but you’re clearly not lacking intelligence. So you may have more in common than you think.

Thank you

Where I'm from, we have multiple ethnicities and diverse sociocultural backgrounds. Linguistic barriers and bridged by English (thank you colonials) but there's so much more. And yet I feel a connect. 

ETA Maybe because the girls in my batch are just too superficial 

Edited by TheLastWolf

49 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

Well, good people - I have gotten back out there. I have a date tonight with Chiropractor, and then Sunday night with CFO. I shall report back :) 

I'm still broken-hearted, still have insomnia, and I though I've tried not to use sleep aids (Ambien, Sonata), it's pretty impossible not to. I might have also lost 10 lbs. If I can't concentrate at work better, still can't sleep, and still can't eat by end of week, I'll make an appointment with my doctor and probably need to get back on Zoloft or something.

Are you sure it's a good idea to already line up some dates when you're heart broken? You and the Doc were together for a long time and the relationship just ended. Not trying to tell you want to do, but some "me time" might serve you better, especially if you can travel somewhere you've always wanted to visit. 

I think what he's saying is not to make any hasty decisions while you are emotionally vulnerable. Although if its just a casual date with no expectations, it may be alright (I am suspicious about a CFO lending a sympathetic ear, for example, even though my own CFO is pretty good all things considered).

Dating can be a rollercoaster, but it's all about persistence and finding the right fit. From my experience, sometimes you have to wade through a bunch of not-so-great dates to find someone special. I met my wife on a dating app a few years back, and it was totally unexpected. So, there's definitely hope in that arena. Give it a shot, you might find a wonderful girl without the unnecessary troubles and headaches.

See this article about Eastern European Women Dating. There, you'll find the most effective dating apps.

Edited by House Cambodia

I've seen some cringe FB videos where they note that based on your dating preferences (>100k income, >6 ft tall, between 40-50 years old to give an example), your pool of potential mates goes down to ~0.1% or whatever. What is conveniently left out is that this is merely your dating pool and not your chances. As a matter of fact, you could create an exclusive club or app with precisely those parameters and your chances to meet your potential mate go up significantly. Indeed, some apps like Luxe cater to an exclusive clientele for similar reasons as far as I can tell.

Even for in-person encounters, people of the same socioeconomic strata tend to hang out together. This takes care of the income piece, and the age one too I wager (40+ olds wouldn't habit clubs intended for the young typically, for example). If you loosen your height requirements a bit you'd be golden.

Thanks for coming to my dating Ted talk.

Edited by IheartIheartTesla

Don't discard him too quickly.  My SO and I have very few common interests.  Even our politics have long been divergent.  Although, he is mellowing and coming more around to my way of thinking than I ever dreamed possible.  

You can always go to the opera with girlfriends.  What matters most is CHEMISTRY.  

My sweetie pie was quite silly at first.  I almost tossed him to the curb a few times.  And very reticent about making the first move.  Turns out, he was afraid to scare me off.  We were out with friends one night, and standing next to the cigarette machine (where I was about to get a pack - which he ABHORS!) - and I finally got impatient enough to gently push him against the wall and lay a kiss on him, which he remembers to this day, as do I.  

46 years later, I still look over at him and smile.  

On 10/15/2023 at 10:41 PM, Starkess said:

Lol I just looked up one of those "delusion calculators" and it said there was a 0% chance there was any woman like me in the US :smoking:

But sorry boys, I'm getting locked down next weekend!

Belated congrats!

54 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

Oh god. I wanted to write something last night, but I could not.

I Called Him.** The Doctor. We had a 45 minute conversation whereby he confessed that he missed me, and ….

He confessed that he couldn’t not think of me, etc, etc.

I am going to follow up on that, tonight, and see where this goes. I can’t forget our trip to Lisbon and Madrid, last year at this time. I think he might finally have an idea of …well, what he could miss out on / threw away? For what. 

We shall see, and this young lady has optionality.

** I called, got no answer, and he called back.

Nooo! You seem to be his plan B until he finds plan A. Based on what you’ve said, you know very well this has no future.

1 hour ago, Madame deVenoge said:

Oh god. I wanted to write something last night, but I could not.

I Called Him.** The Doctor. We had a 45 minute conversation whereby he confessed that he missed me, and ….

He confessed that he couldn’t not think of me, etc, etc.

I am going to follow up on that, tonight, and see where this goes. I can’t forget our trip to Lisbon and Madrid, last year at this time. I think he might finally have an idea of …well, what he could miss out on / threw away? For what. 

We shall see, and this young lady has optionality.

** I called, got no answer, and he called back.

Sounds like someone struck out on the dating scene. Set  some rules for him before you agree to go back. Hoping for the best.