Marvel: The Echo of Profitability

Rhom

7 minutes ago, Trebla said:

So they are half-way done creating a GOOD Fantastic Four movie.

Nah. The casting isn't even close to the halfway point. The casting was fine for, like, the last two FF movies - in particular, somehow they managed to cast the new Captain America AND the next best villain the MCU had seen. 

IMO, going for extra long nostalgia of the 60s is very much the wrong step, but at least it's a choice. 

I agree with Doom being crucial. I dont' think they should go with the sorcery angle - while that was a really cool storyline it also came about after Doom failed repeatedly and resorted to magic over science. Him just starting as a sorcerer is, well, weird as shit. 

Could it be set in the 60s, but (The Marvels spoilers)…

Spoiler

In the X-Men universe that Monica ended up in? There’s a bit more breathing room over there, but you can still tease other movies at the same time. Maybe keep everything in 2 primary universes and then collide them for Secret Wars.

45 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Why was John Krasinsky snubbed ? 

Uncertain. Krasinski's schedule also looks to be packed and doesn't have space for it, is one possible guess. Potentially he also didn't want to be tied down to a role for a long time, as happens with Marvel roles, so it becomes necessary to find actors willing to make that kind of commitment to a role. Given how long it takes to make a single movie, plus the post production, the ADR, and to then also have to do press tours (which look and sound exhausting), you have to be at the place in your life where that kind of commitment works for you, as an actor.

32 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Uncertain. Krasinski's schedule also looks to be packed and doesn't have space for it, is one possible guess. Potentially he also didn't want to be tied down to a role for a long time, as happens with Marvel roles, so it becomes necessary to find actors willing to make that kind of commitment to a role. 

I know.  Robert Downey Jr couldn't wait to stop having 8 figures thrown at him every few years.

5 hours ago, mcbigski said:

I know.  Robert Downey Jr couldn't wait to stop having 8 figures thrown at him every few years.

That’s the thing though… RDJ had no career to speak of when he signed on to Ironman.

And what is he doing now that he isn’t Ironman?  Does he have a career?  I dunno. I don’t see him in things on my radar.

Krasinski can almost pick any role he wants these days.

14 minutes ago, Rhom said:

That’s the thing though… RDJ had no career to speak of when he signed on to Ironman.

And what is he doing now that he isn’t Ironman?  Does he have a career?  I dunno. I don’t see him in things on my radar.

He’s about to win an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for Oppenheimer, I think he’s doing just fine post Marvel.

39 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Krasinski can almost pick any role he wants these days.

He was just in Oppenheimer, a movie that might win best picture. 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I don’t see him in things on my radar.

Don't mean to pile on, but your radar seems faulty.

Anyway, Vanessa Kirby is a very good choice for Sue Storm.  I also have no reason to doubt Pascal.  Don't know the other two, although I see the guy cast as Thing was that dastardly character in Andor.  All in all a solid casting, but as mentioned, that doesn't necessarily mean much.

The most encouraging aspect of the announcement to me is Josh Friedman is the screenwriter.  Friedman will always have my love as the creator/showrunner of Sarah Connor Chronicles.

The chokehold comic book movies has had on Hollywood is beginning to loosen. Marvel has lost the ability to ensorcell critics to the extent they did. Even fans are no longer glamoured as they once were, and are beginning to see flaws in the Eldritch beast that they worship. The detractors (like me) grow in number. The usual playbook where Disney can attempt to bully everyone into liking their movies and shows by shrieking that if you don't like it you are a racist and a sexist is overplayed and losing its potency. 

Perhaps actors with some power in Hollywood are less inclined to play superheroes now?

I honestly thought the MCU had used Kirby for something else so was sad she wouldn't be a character, but then I get her mixed up with Elizabeth Debicki.. those tall blondes all look the same to me! But the casting in general seems good.

Yeah I am excited by this movie, I have a faint hope that it could in fact be a return to form. I actually quite liked the 'pretty bad' F4 movies with Chris Evans and Jessica Alba. I always excepted they were not good, but I did like the fun and colourful tone of them. I found the more recent movie basically unwatchable. 

Do they need to include Dr Doom here? Seems like a prerequisite from the previous attempts, but I don't think its necessary.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Do they need to include Dr Doom here? Seems like a prerequisite from the previous attempts, but I don't think its necessary.

Seems Doom depends on the direction, no?  He's baked into the history of the FF so much...maybe the introduce him and set him up, but he's not the primary antagonist of the film?  Particularly if this has some sort of time travel shenanigans going on?  

And I'm actually sad about Krasinski. He did seem perfect for the role.  As much as I do like Pascal, he just doesn't seem to have the "look" I associate with Reed Richards...but, again, I'm going to reserve judgement for now and hope for the best. 

3 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

He’s about to win an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for Oppenheimer, I think he’s doing just fine post Marvel.

2 hours ago, sifth said:

He was just in Oppenheimer, a movie that might win best picture. 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Don't mean to pile on, but your radar seems faulty.

Welp, that radar is definitely flawed then.  Never made time to go see the Barbenheimer sensation last summer.  :dunno: 

So anyways, point stands for the first part.