Watch, Watched, Watching: Watching Severance and working for Lumon

Veltigar

14 minutes ago, Isis said:

Definitely can't remember him in The Green Knight either.

I recall that particular scene, since it leads into one of the coolest bits of cinematography in the whole film (after Gawain is left bound and stripped of his equipment, the camera pans slowly around, through the seasons, to his bleached bones, and then around again to him alive), but it's a small part of the film.

So "Oppenheimer" is streaming on Peacock.

Seeing this a 2nd time went by so seamlessly I had to double check and was surprised that it was the same length as the 3 hour theatrical release.

It did not feel too long at all. Interestingly Ive read this movie had no deleated scenes. Indeed I thought a few scenes could have been a bit longer to more fully flesh out the subject (the Los Alamos "community meeting" he walks in on for example) but its brevity isnt too great a irritant for me.

Finished S2 of Slow Horses, another really good season.  Really surprised by the death in Ep3, shouldn't be based on the premise of the show, but still. 

Spoiler

Kinda had the whole bomb on the plane thing figured out, why else would he be alive if not to pass the info on to someone else. Wasn't sure why, didn't know the endgame though.

On to S3, ep2 already.   And joy!

Spoiler

Spider is dead for real this time! 

3 hours ago, dbunting said:
  Hide contents

Kinda had the whole bomb on the plane thing figured out, why else would he be alive if not to pass the info on to someone else. Wasn't sure why, didn't know the endgame though.

Bugger, have I already forgotten so much? Can't figure out what you're talking about here.

Spoiler

What bomb on a plane? Who would be alive?

Edited by 3CityApache

Finished all 3 seasons of Fortitude. Loved s1. S2 was more of a mixed bag… it dragged a lot at times and felt rushed at other times. I thought the cast was excellent except for Dormer. Whatever he was going for there didn’t work for me at all. I thought his performance was silly and over the top; instead of creepy I thought it was quite funny for the most part. And then s3. What can I say? Thank Bowie it was only 4 episodes, and that’s the best thing I can say about it. Dormer was even worse and more unintentionally funny, and the show overall became a parody of itself. 

30 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Finished all 3 seasons of Fortitude. Loved s1. S2 was more of a mixed bag… it dragged a lot at times and felt rushed at other times. I thought the cast was excellent except for Dormer. Whatever he was going for there didn’t work for me at all. I thought his performance was silly and over the top; instead of creepy I thought it was quite funny for the most part. And then s3. What can I say? Thank Bowie it was only 4 episodes, and that’s the best thing I can say about it. Dormer was even worse and more unintentionally funny, and the show overall became a parody of itself. 

I watched the first season when it came out but not the others. I remember the Svalbard setting being fascinating (such as the law about having to have a rifle when leaving the town in case of encountering a polar bear) and the mystery was intriguing, although it did get a bit wild by the end.

12 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I watched the first season when it came out but not the others. I remember the Svalbard setting being fascinating (such as the law about having to have a rifle when leaving the town in case of encountering a polar bear) and the mystery was intriguing, although it did get a bit wild by the end.

I wish I had done the same. Yes, it started to get a bit… wild by the end of the first season, but it still had its internal logic, the characters were themselves (for lack of a better description), etc. And totally agree about how fascinating the setting and the way of life were. Very strong cast, too, and the characters were interesting, well developed and you could ‘figure them out’ even if they didn’t have that much screen time. That started going out the window in the 2nd series and, to me, the whole thing really became a sort of incoherent parody in the 3rd. As I’ve said, glad it was only 4 episodes or I probably wouldn’t have finished it. 

17 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Bugger, have I already forgotten so much? Can't figure out what you're talking about here.

Hide contents

What bomb on a plane? Who would be alive?

When 

Spoiler

Cartwright was at the airfield and the Russians made him think they put the diesel fuel and whatever else that was on the plane. Made sure to talk about the entire plan while he was on the floor and left a phone there so he could call in the September alert.

S3 Slow Horses, only watched one episode today and it was a good one again. I don't really have a single character or actor on the show that I truly dislike so that makes this so much more enjoyable. One thing that begs a question.

Spoiler

What do countries do with retired spies who know a LOT, like Cartwright and they develop dementia like he seems to be doing?  I hate to say it but I am pretty sure they would kill him.

They mention Cartwrights parents every season, hopefully James Earl Jones doesn't have a cameo, or a voice over in a future episode. If you know you know.

On 2/26/2024 at 1:23 PM, Isis said:

See, I don't really remember him all that much in that film (Sacred Deer) - all I really remember is the super creepy 'general anaesthetic' scene. 

That’s pretty crazy to me. How someone can watch that movie and not remember Keoghan or at least his character :dunno:.

On 2/26/2024 at 1:23 PM, Isis said:

I downloaded the ASOIAF audiobooks onto my phone again recently and have been slowly working through them during bouts of insomnia. 

I haven’t read the books in a while so I started a listen this week during cardio/gym and all that. Good to be back.

I watched The Empty Man recently. It sounds like a cheesy early 2000’s teenie horror movie but it was actually pretty solid. The opening sequence was amazing. Like legitimately one of the best horror openings I’ve ever seen. Unfortunately it peaked there but the movie itself was pretty good. It goes into some weird unexpected shit but I recommend.

I've never read the novel, but I wonder if they language was quite so salty as it is on the show. I'm thinking not, and they decided to roughen it up, and I've no problem with that personally but it did make me wonder.

So far, so good on the show.

On 2/26/2024 at 1:39 AM, Ran said:

The Quick and the Dead (trashy, but I forgot how explicitly Leone-esque the opening was; also, Di Caprio, Keith David, and Russell Crowe all getting to work with the legendary Gene Hackman in the film was pretty cool)

Reveal hidden contents

I think my "favorite" thread of the film was probably Rudolf Höss's mother-in-law, who arrives all puffed up with pride for her daughter's station as "Queen of Auschwitz" but crumples and flees in the night as the oppressive atmosphere of what's happening just over the garden wall gets to her.

The coda of the film, at the end, was also very powerful. Fine, fine stuff. Höss's retching reminded me of a scene in Joshua Oppenheimer's amazing documentary The Act of Killing, and I saw that Glazer had that very film in mind. Very much recommend it, for anyone who hasn't seen it. It's not an easy film to sit through, though.

Oh, that's right  lol

Really wonder how Hackman and Crowe got on. 

Myself, swept through Tiny Beautiful Things.

Kathryn Hahn's performance as the lead was great [of course] but so to was the actress who played her younger self... whose name escapes me.

Loved the mess and how life can fuck with potential, but not erase it.

Edited by JGP

19 hours ago, Ran said:

I've never read the novel, but I wonder if they language was quite so salty as it is on the show. I'm thinking not, and they decided to roughen it up, and I've no problem with that personally but it did make me wonder.

So far, so good on the show.

The novel has been on my to-read list for several years now. I’m torn between watching the show beforehand or reading the book as the book will be a slow read for me and the show will outpace me.

The Holdovers

I thoroughly enjoyed this. Sure, there's a lot of cliches, but cliches exist for a reason; they appeal to people on a deeply human level. This story has cliches that make people feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Probably my favourite out of the Oscar-nominated pictures I've seen so far.

For the first time in my adult life, I watched the Godfather tonight. I’m confident that I saw it as a child. I’ll take the unpopular opinion and state that I think it could have done with a decent editor. It’s long and self indulgent with far too many long slow establishing pans and zooms.  

It’s not what I remembered. 

11 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Insistent upon itself is a fine way to describing it.  Watched it beginning to end.  Found it ponderous in the way I find much of American "classic" literature ponderous.  Did it have excellent moments?  Sure.  I just think that it was overly slow and more than a bit dull.  I will qualify that in reviewing the releases from 1972, it looks like that was a thing.  Even so, I can find at least 5 movies from 1972 that have more draw to revisit.  

I don't regret rewatching it, but it's not something that I will go back to again, nor will I proceed in the series.

I'll note that in looking at Coppola's filmography, there's not much there that I have much fondness for.  I've seen most of it, but only a few movies there that I look back on fondly or have any desire to see again.

I finally got around to watching movies from the early 2000s.  That means Lord of the Rings.  Hate to say it, didn't hold up.  I really loved them when I watched them originally but this time all the flaws really jumped out.  The never ending Gollum scenes  I had forgotten how late the Shelob stuff was.  The elves, Gimli, Denethor.  The same things people have been complaining about for the last 20 years.  The first movie is by far the best.

Not that they are bad movies.  I just had built them up far more in my mind.

I did also see Almost Famous.  This seemed more magical, conversely.  Or maybe when you are older, you simply dig nostalgia more.

And Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.  Truly imaginative but brutally honest.  Great movie.