Watch, Watched, Watching: Start another thread already

TheLastWolf

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

It’s also worth knowing from the start that there are not answers to the big questions

Spoiler

They do provide a potential answer.  Just a matter of whether or not you believe Nora's story is true.

Personally, I don't believe her.  Think it was her way of coping with what happened and finally finding some semblance of peace. 

But, to me, there is zero chance that she finally found her family and then decided to leave them again without saying a word.

Rewatched Blood Diamond, because of The Rewatchables podcast suggesting it was under-rated. End result? No, rated about right -- some good stuff, some mediocre stuff, feels a bit formulaic but thoroughly professional. Not Ed Zwick's best work, not his worst either.

16 hours ago, Raja said:

To me, it's one of the best shows I've seen for a long time. Obviously will not be spoiling things for you, but it is one of those rare shows that improves season on season with a very satisfying ending. A lot of people didn't make it past season 1 as it can be..depressing for a lot of people, and I can totally see that, but S2 is stunning, as is S3.

I know it's a lot to ask people to stick with the show to make it to S2 & S3, so I totally understand people who get off the bus, but imo S1 still has lots of good stuff in it. The Tom Perrotta book that it's based on is weirdly even darker than the show.

Performances are also excellent, including Eccleston & Carie coon.

It *is* a heavy show though, so that's  something to be prepared for. The shine on the show has worn off *a little* bit for me after all the stuff about Lindelof and his writing room on Lost.

I am ok with bleak stuff. I am a Lost fan too so I know what you mean there, I'm actually into my second watchalong podcast for Lost and this one has two young guys who are seriously fanboying the showrunners which is slightly uncomfortable listening.

16 hours ago, Ran said:

@Isis

Give the show a bit more time, and at least get to the third episode. If you aren't grabbed by then, it's not for you.

I will go another couple of episodes. Maybe I can get my husband on board with that deal as well.

14 hours ago, Whiskeyjack said:

The first time I tried watching, I made it through the first two episodes and kind of lost interest.

The second time, pushed through.  It ended up being my favorite show ever.

Its been a while, so I can't remember exactly why I stayed with it the second time, but I think the episodes that really caught me in the first season were 6 and especially 9.  Few scenes in a television show have ever impacted me the way the end of episode 9 did.

Ultimately, I think its a show about loss and trying to cope with that loss.  Some characters are more successful at doing that than others, and honestly its the ones who struggle that resonated with me the most.  Also, think its a show that makes you think about how you interact with and value your own loved ones.

And yeah, it sticks the landing with a great final episode and final scene.

Well this is a strong rec. Based on the understanding that there are good things to come I can push through some more episodes I think.

Thanks, everyone. :)

Having a tough time at work, so I resorted to watching Joe Wright's Pride & Prejudice once more. It truly is the most astonishing film. The music, the acting, everything about it really is perfect in my opinion. It makes me remarkably happy to see all these powerhouse performances take place in such an earthly setting. I can almost smell the countryside in some of the scenes and I think this is rather more realistic than the usual stale BBC-style costume dramas we are usually confronted with.

What's more, it is one of the few stories I can think of that are on such a delightfully small scale. Here, the sake of the republic/world is not at stake. Even though marriage is extremely important in the setting, no one stands to lose their life the moment things look dire. I rather appreciate that.

I have been already tempted to watch it a second time. It's potent medicine.

On 6/14/2023 at 1:13 PM, Mindwalker said:

Deadloch is quite funny. One of the leads is too OTT for me during the first 3 episodes, but it gets better.

I hope the killer is

Hide contents

Dulce's terrible wife because I really can't stand her!

I caught the first episode last night, and I agree with that OTT and with the spoiler hidden contents.  The OTT is so preposterous as someone in that position I have been debating about watching any more of the series.  Also because 

Spoiler

the entire town except for our Heroine are morons.  No community could possible survive with that many idiots in the population. It's too much.

Edited by Zorral

Watched Flash this weekend. It was on the better side of the DC movies which outside of the Dark Knight series isn't saying a lot lately. I liked the main actor in his role but no one else really seems to stand out.  If this movie had come out a couple years ago I may have liked it more but since

Spoiler

Spider Man No Way Home came out and had several versions of the same character from different universes in it, this just felt like a rip off. Maybe it's just that I like Spider Man way more than The Flash but for me that one worked way way better.  I did like the Nic Cage as Superman cameo, from the never happened Superman Lives movie, that was a nice toss in.

Vinland Saga completes it's 2nd season. People are sleeping on it, it's a terrific anime that is (as I've noted elsewhere) surprisingly mature and thoughtful. I'd compare it to Evangelion in terms of philosophical exploration, but here it's exploring violence and non-violence.

Watched the first episode of the new season of Black Mirror, "Joan Is Awful", and had a good time with it -- as, too, did Salma Hayek, by the way she threw herself into her performance (Annie Murphy also did quite well). A very meta episode, with a ridiculous but amusing premise. Next up is "Loch Henry".

Also watched the third episode of The Idol. My friend Sean T. Collins has a enjoyable recap of the episode which takes as its premise that this is very much a black comedy/satire in the Verhoeven vein, a position he's held since the start. Sean is well-primed to to be the sort of person to enjoy this sort of thing, as his year of daily blogging about Patrick Swayze's Road House proves. He's convincing other TV writers of his way of thinking, though, and really, I think it's right. Still quite impressed by Lily-Rose Depp, less so with The Weeknd as an actor even if I respect his willingness to play the sleazy villain.

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

I caught the first episode last night, and I agree with that OTT and with the spoiler hidden contents.  The OTT is so preposterous as someone in that position I have been debating about watching any more of the series.  Also because 

Reveal hidden contents

the entire town except for our Heroine are morons.  No community could possible survive with that many idiots in the population. It's too much.

Dulcie is a fantastic straight woman to Eddie, and watching her try to mitigate the latter's gruff, crass overcompensation in real time is delightfully amusing. Abby isn't an idiot [being a keener + socially awkward is a rough mix] and I can't wait for the comeuppance with her beau. 

From the other room: What's so funny, dad? 

Me: Nothing you can watch, kid. Not yet anyway

Though I think her sister Llyra would howl at all the Lesbian town references. It may not be for everyone, but it hits the spot for me.  Quite possibly my favorite comedy seen recently.

edit: for anyone whose interest may be piqued

Edited by JGP

40 minutes ago, Ran said:

Vinland Saga completes it's 2nd season. People are sleeping on it, it's a terrific anime that is (as I've noted elsewhere) surprisingly mature and thoughtful.

Started watching this because of you, Ran. About 6 episodes in so far.

Finally remembered that I never went and watched season 5 of Cobra Kai beyond the first episode. The show continues to delight in the absolute smarmy melodrama of being that "current" show with the absolute 80s aesthetic vibe running straight through it...

On 6/18/2023 at 12:11 PM, Isis said:

I definitely still watch some stuff on DVD. Very kind of you to offer. If you have a look at what the cost of postage would be like to central London, UK (happy to pay if it isn't more than the cost of the boxset lol) and let me know we can go from there? 

Last night we watched the first episode of The Leftovers. Not sure what to think or feel about this really. It didn't grab me as many other first episodes of shows have managed to. It also feels weirdly dated? Some people have really bigged this show up to me so this felt like an anticlimax. Are there any fans of the show here who can speak in its favour?

I don't think it should be that expensive, but if you don't want the actual box I could probably fit the four disk cases and pamphlet into one of those padded envelopes and it would be cheaper.

I'm not really sure how to get a quote for shipping something other than actually sending it. I'll poke around on the post office website when I get a minute.

I think people have covered this but The Leftovers does get a lot better. Especially with the start of the second season. 

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Finally remembered that I never went and watched season 5 of Cobra Kai beyond the first episode. The show continues to delight in the absolute smarmy melodrama of being that "current" show with the absolute 80s aesthetic vibe running straight through it...

I still haven't watched it either, need to get on it at some point

4 hours ago, Ran said:

Watched the first episode of the new season of Black Mirror, "Joan Is Awful", and had a good time with it -- as, too, did Salma Hayek, by the way she threw herself into her performance (Annie Murphy also did quite well). A very meta episode, with a ridiculous but amusing premise. Next up is "Loch Henry".

I just finished the season. Mixed bag overall. I thought the Aaron Paul episode “Beyond the Sea” was by far the best. The paparazzi episode was all kinds of terrible. Didn’t even really feel like Black Mirror.

5 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I just finished the season. Mixed bag overall. I thought the Aaron Paul episode “Beyond the Sea” was by far the best. The paparazzi episode was all kinds of terrible. Didn’t even really feel like Black Mirror.

Spoiler

That ending! I did not expect that shit. I figured David would’ve killed Cliff and attempt to fool Cliff’s family or something along those lines. But they chose to go darker. 

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

On the leftovers, I must be the only person who loved S1 from the start. But then gave up on it about 3 episodes into S2. It got so incredibly dreary. 

I think sometimes when you hear from a number of people that a show is great and you watch the first episode and feel not very interested in it, there's a bit of a disconnect/disillusionment. I liked the concept and to reiterate I have no problem with gloom or not knowing what is going on. However, I didn't feel engaged with any of the characters. I'm gonna try at least another couple of eps though.

On 6/18/2023 at 6:11 PM, Isis said:

I definitely still watch some stuff on DVD. Very kind of you to offer. If you have a look at what the cost of postage would be like to central London, UK (happy to pay if it isn't more than the cost of the boxset lol) and let me know we can go from there? 

Last night we watched the first episode of The Leftovers. Not sure what to think or feel about this really. It didn't grab me as many other first episodes of shows have managed to. It also feels weirdly dated? Some people have really bigged this show up to me so this felt like an anticlimax. Are there any fans of the show here who can speak in its favour?

I wasn't really hooked by the first episode or the second one either. A lot of people were iffy through season 1.

Episode 1x03 is great a lot of people's favorite but I wouldn't say you will know if the show is for you by that point. Episode 1x06 is even better and the point where I really got into the show. But it's the last two episodes of season 1 that give everything you've seen before such a great payoff. And then seasons 2 and 3 are amazing throughout (also, look forward to completely different and more interesting opening credits starting from season 2). Season 3 is my favorite.

Carrie Coon's performance is one of the best ever on TV and it's an outrage she was never even nominated for Emmy (the show was completely ignored other than a guest star nomination for Ann Dowd). Christopher Eccleston, Justin Theroux and other cast members are also amazing.