Watch, Watched, Watching: Start another thread already

TheLastWolf

Finally got around to watching Seven Kings Must Die, the conclusion to the The Last Kingdom series. I thought it was okay. A poor adaptation overall, granted being a movie a lot was rushed and it depended on changes the show made. I didn't like how Aethelstan was written and I don't recall Ingilmundr in the books. 

Spoiler

But I did like the last third of the movie. The battle was much better than anything the final two seasons of the show had and Uhtred, while different from the books, had an ambiguous but poetic ending. 

Watched Boots Riley's Im A Virgo over the weekend and man, that was good stuff. What can you say about a series where the climactic scene is a superhero being defeated by having it explained to them that unharnessed capitalism essentially creates crime by requiring an untenable level of poverty to exist and that therefore superheroes are fundamentally reactionary tools of the establishment? And where also it is clear that Boots Riley has really thought about how a 13 foot tall guy and his normal size girlfriend could have sex.

It's not going to be for everyone, but if you like it, you'll really love it.

Ended up in the wrong cinema hall due a to a ticket misprint and watched the Flash instead of Spiderman.   It was...fine.  Kind of paint by the numbers.  It did this thing where it tried to pay homage to the whole DC universe movie history of the characters as the multiverse which was kind of, I dunno, twee?

Spoiler

George Clooney is apparently gonna be the new Batman.  

Worth asking AMC for new tickets?

I watched some Black Mirror at the weekend, first episodes I've ever seen (just never got round to it before). Started with San Junipero, which was really good. Followed by Men Against Fire, which was kind of ok/average.

After that I watched The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent which was quite entertaining, maybe a 7/10? Maybe 7.5/10. I wasn't quite sure what to expect so it was a good surprise. In its favour, all of its jokes landed for me. There's nothing worse than a film which thinks it's really clever but it isn't actually.

5 minutes ago, Isis said:

Started with San Junipero, which was really good.

My favorite, and that of many others! "White Christmas" is definitely a great one to watch from the early, pre-Netflix show. Also there's "Hang the DJ!" which shares some similarities to "San Junipero."

I’m of the opinion that Black Mirror was at its best when it was a British show on Channel 4. It became ‘kind of ok’ when it moved to Netflix but I’ve found so much of it unwatchable and snooze inducing since that point. Haven’t had the impetus to watch this season as I just get the sense it’s past it’s sell by date and maybe isn’t as interesting and thought provoking as it once was

4 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Ended up in the wrong cinema hall due a to a ticket misprint and watched the Flash instead of Spiderman.   It was...fine.  Kind of paint by the numbers.  It did this thing where it tried to pay homage to the whole DC universe movie history of the characters as the multiverse which was kind of, I dunno, twee?

Reveal hidden contents

How long did it take before you realized you weren’t watching Spider-Man?

39 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

How long did it take before you realized you weren’t watching Spider-Man?

I first thought it was the world's worst trailer for 2 min

Spoiler

MC arguing about his sandwich order

Then I thought it was a DC live action-Marvel animated cross-over

Spoiler

To delight the hearts of comic-book nerds everywhere 

Then I considered leaving because DC movies are kinda meh...but inertia won out. 

Edited by Gaston de Foix

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I’m of the opinion that Black Mirror was at its best when it was a British show on Channel 4. It became ‘kind of ok’ when it moved to Netflix but I’ve found so much of it unwatchable and snooze inducing since that point. Haven’t had the impetus to watch this season as I just get the sense it’s past it’s sell by date and maybe isn’t as interesting and thought provoking as it once was

I'd say that Netflix's 3 seasons (before the current, which I haven't got around to yet) have 2 episodes* that can stand up to C4's 7 (well, 6 of the first 7 - I never got on with the Waldo moment).

Seasons 3 wasn't bad, they just felt... Americanised... TV by committee. S4 was largely anonymous, and S5 was just eminently forgettable.

* Shut Up And Dance, and Black Museum

Can't find anything to watch.  Found deep in the dregs of Tubi a 1988 documetary on Richard Burton.  Very enjoyable, but sad, as we was another one of those people who achieved all of his dreams, but wasn't happy.  Also interesting, no narration, just people talking about Burton, clips of him, of his films and some footage of Wales.  Also, easy to forget how much real poverty still existed in the early 20th century in Western Europe. 

As I was ostensibly shelving some books in a library some years ago, I came across a collection of photographs of remote mining communities in mid-twentieth century South Wales. A lot of it was quite shocking. Much more raw than anything I'd seen on the Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru's flickr archive. Unfortunately I didn't make a note of the details or photographer. 

[Abe Simpson voice] Though that reminds me... my favourite photography collection was put together from the work of Werner Kissling, a German photographer active in the Hebrides in the first half of the twentieth century. 

Been watching The Diplomat. I'm enjoying it so far (6 of 8 done), but it isn't quite the fast paced, cutthroat political thriller I was thinking it was going to be after the first episode...

Edited by Jaxom 1974

Think part of the sense that the WWDITS seasons come around fast is that they hit the USA in summer, and the UK in late autumn. I mostly end up catching up on it during the Christmas break. They feel more present for more of the year than if the broadcasters would do the sensible thing and release it everywhere at the same time. 

10 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Hide contents

Re your spoiler, no. It’s basically a joke., it has no bearing on the DC films going forward.