Watch, Watched, Watching: Start another thread already

TheLastWolf

57 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Nimona

What a cool movie. Great humor. Great voice cast, really appealing visual style. Good story. Some really emotional moments. Definitely one of the better animated films I’ve seen this year.

Recommend.

Glad it's good. Been thinking of signing up to Netflix again to watch it. 

The Nice Guys is back on Netflix. I love this movie.

The way Kieth David

Spoiler

dies

is completely insane.

1 hour ago, dog-days said:

Glad it's good. Been thinking of signing up to Netflix again to watch it. 

It’s not quite up there with Puss in Boots 2 or Spider-Verse, but I really enjoyed it. Definitely better than Mario. Miles better than Lightyear and Strange World. 

On 6/26/2023 at 12:53 PM, Ran said:

My favorite, and that of many others! "White Christmas" is definitely a great one to watch from the early, pre-Netflix show. Also there's "Hang the DJ!" which shares some similarities to "San Junipero."

White Christmas is on my shortlist. Loch Henry has also been recommended to me from S6.

We did another couple of episodes of The Leftovers last night - we've seen the first four now. Warming to it a little bit.

If you played a drinking game where you took a drink every time Max Richter wanted you to feel something you'd get reliably smashed every episode.

Reminds me in some ways of Northern Exposure, in that it's bleak, bad stuff happens to people, sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's sad, you feel like people are stuck somewhere, you're never fully sure what's going on but it doesn't feel completely normal.

2 minutes ago, Quijote Light said:

Good first episode of season 3 of Warrior.

Glad to hear this.  I hope those sisters are over.  They bounced me out of Warriors so hard -- their characters' arcs, their relationship, etc.  I liked the Asian elements very much though.

D&D: Honour Among Thieves
It was OK. Not spectacular. Most of the good bits were in the trailers.

Klaus

Gods what a fantastic Christmas movie. I saw a thing with the Corridor Crew where they talked about how the film was made. An interesting mix of mostly 2D animation with 3D mostly used for textures and highlights. It yields a really gorgeous and unique visual style to the film. Heartwarming and funny with a lot of emotional heft. An interesting take on the hero’s journey.

Definitely recommend.

Watched Indiana Jones and the search for Metamucil this weekend. Have to say it was better than I expected. I'd say it's better than the last two and not as good as the original two.  They did some CGI de-aging and it looked pretty good, to me anyway.  For me, if we could just delete parts 3-4 and have only 1-2-5 it would strengthen the franchise as a whole. Don't get me wrong, The Last Crusade wasn't bad and maybe I need to go back and watch it, I just had such a bad taste in my mouth from the Chrystal skull garbage that it may have effected my opinion on the other one.

Being who I am I of course watched Raiders of the Lost Ark this weekend and I still enjoy it. Love the old fashioned punch sound they use in this when Indy hits someone, and yes, that same sound is used in the new one. 

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

Watched Indiana Jones and the search for Metamucil this weekend. Have to say it was better than I expected. I'd say it's better than the last two and not as good as the original two

I thought it was universally accepted that 1 and 3 were the best ones, and 2 sucked? 

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

Watched Indiana Jones and the search for Metamucil this weekend. Have to say it was better than I expected. I'd say it's better than the last two and not as good as the original two.  They did some CGI de-aging and it looked pretty good, to me anyway.  For me, if we could just delete parts 3-4 and have only 1-2-5 it would strengthen the franchise as a whole. Don't get me wrong, The Last Crusade wasn't bad and maybe I need to go back and watch it, I just had such a bad taste in my mouth from the Chrystal skull garbage that it may have effected my opinion on the other one.

Being who I am I of course watched Raiders of the Lost Ark this weekend and I still enjoy it. Love the old fashioned punch sound they use in this when Indy hits someone, and yes, that same sound is used in the new one. 

The Last Crusade is just a Raiders retread anyway.

41 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

This Last Crusade slander greatly displeases me. It will always be my favorite one (even if Raiders is objectively the best). I absolutely adore the dynamic between Indy and his dad. And Connery as Henry Jones Sr is one of the most perfect casting choices ever. 

Agreed. I may be biased because it was actually the first one I saw, therefore while it is similar in its formula to Raiders, I prefer it. And I love the last bit with the old knight, too. "He has chosen poorly" :lol:

On 6/24/2023 at 11:25 PM, Derfel Cadarn said:

I believe GRRM based King Robert, at least in part, on Blackadder season 1’s King Richard IV (in trith one of the lost princes), played by Brian Blessed.

Certai, GRRM is a Blackadder fan and said Brian Blessed would make a good Robert

GRRM mostly based King Robert on Edward IV, as confirmed by himself.

8 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

GRRM mostly based King Robert on Edward IV, as confirmed by himself.

He also said Brian Blessed would have made a good Robert (a younger Blessed). 

The Idol finished its first (and likely only?) season, and honestly, while I think it missed its mark somewhat, it was trying to do stuff that I don't think a lot of people realized. This recap gets at it. I think Levinson really overdid certain aspects of this last episode -- the mustache-twirling of her management over having "ruined" Tedros went on too long -- but still, I think you really can see that this was a story about the artifice of celebrity. The Idol not only has aspects of Verhoeven's ouvre, but Nicolas Refn Winding's Neon Demon also seems to have resonance and that resonance is even clearer now than it was before. 

Watched Nimona, because I was familiar with the graphic novel and wanted to see how they adapted it. How'd they do? I think it's pretty middling. Didn't like the character design or animation, but the environment design was pretty good. No problem with the voice actors, but they lost a lot of what made the graphic novel poignant, IMO. The biggest turn off for me was how hyperactive it was at times. I know, I know, it's a kid's animated cartoon film, but... I don't know, I've seen hyperactive done better. 

Outlander's new season continues, and takes an interesting turn as there's communication going on from past to "present" in a way the show hasn't done before.

The Righteous Gemstones gave us some more Uncle Baby Billy, so that was a good episode.  Love Tim Baltz as BJ as well. His appearances on Comedy Bang Bag are always good, especially as Randy Snutz.

I binged Love and Death over the past two days. I did enjoy it as I watched but in retrospect it was a bit anti climactic and lackluster. Elizabeth Olsen was great, she and her character carried the show, though I enjoyed many of the smaller characters as well. I think the editing/writing had quite a bit of room for improvement, there was a fair bit of screen time spent on bits and bobs that added nothing to the story at the expense of (better) establishing plot points or layering characters. But overall it was quite a decent true crime drama. 

Spoiler

I liked how Pat turned out as the most decent person with the biggest heart. I enjoyed the lawyer’s character, as well as the juxtaposition of Kristen Ritter and the lady pastor as Candy’s besties.  

really liked the subtle but strong characterization Allen and Betty had too. 

the new pastor needed more work, that storyline and character didnt quite work out, and thus failed to serve the purpose it had in the story and thus made no sense in the trial.  

The judge vs lawyer dynamic was somehow both overplayed and underused. The show failed to establish how it impacted the jury or trial strategy or Candy or the press (and by proxy the public perception) and thus it was a waste of time. 

The 70s nostalgia was also a waste of time because in a lot of regards the  show looked anachronistic. All the time spent on Candy’s driving and car singing or the disco scene or the completely gratuitous office shots. All these should have gone to stronger trial moments or the world building of the community or the aspect of religion. 

Elizabeth Olsen was excellent and her candy was delightful. 

Edited by RhaenysBee

7 hours ago, Heartofice said:

That is not a universal opinion. All the 3 of the Indiana Jones movies are good.

There are only 3.

Whether we like it or not, there are five. And hey - some people like the ones that we don't, so why not them enjoy them? (I thought Crystal Skull was servicable, and saw it in theaters when it came out, dressed in full Indy regalia, because I Am a Giantic Geek.)