Gerwig's Barbie

IheartIheartTesla

4 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

Gonna see it with both my daughters (15 and 17) before I watch Oppenheimer (in which they don't have any interest whatsoever).

Surely there is a showing that works where you drop your kids off and they go to Barbie and you go to Oppenheimer?  

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit, some box office projections have it opening to $140 million, how is this possible?

I think the buzz for this movie is massive. The marketing has been really good, it's got 2 famous will liked leads, the concept is interesting and appeals not just to kids, but probably more for adults. 

I know people my age who are booking tickets now and I've never known them to do that for any other movie. 

Even I suspect this movie is going to be good, it's taken a bland commercial concept and seemingly added social satire and commentary to it, whilst looking unique. 

I think these days for a movie to be a success at a large scale, it needs to be an event. They seem to have created the feeling of an event here, something you can't miss out on. Gotta applaud them for that.

3 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Surely there is a showing that works where you drop your kids off and they go to Barbie and you go to Oppenheimer?  

No, but I do want to see it too! It's just that all of us will be watching Barbie, while for Oppenheimer it's only me. I guess it may not be uncommon.

Edited by 3CityApache

14 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I think the buzz for this movie is massive. The marketing has been really good, it's got 2 famous will liked leads, the concept is interesting and appeals not just to kids, but probably more for adults. 

I know people my age who are booking tickets now and I've never known them to do that for any other movie. 

Even I suspect this movie is going to be good, it's taken a bland commercial concept and seemingly added social satire and commentary to it, whilst looking unique. 

I think these days for a movie to be a success at a large scale, it needs to be an event. They seem to have created the feeling of an event here, something you can't miss out on. Gotta applaud them for that.

I keep hearing this about the marketing being amazing, i have seen nothing other than a couple of migraine inducing trailers.  

45 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

No, but I do want to see it too! It's just that all of us will be watching Barbie, while for Oppenheimer it's only me. I guess it may not be uncommon.

Oh how come your daughters aren’t watching it with a group of friends? Not that there’s anything wrong with watching it with parents, just curious, as it sounds like something I would have wanted to see with a girl gang as a teenager. 

I’m simultaneously terrified of and super hyped for this movie. I loved Barbies as a kid and Barbie magazine and Barbie stickers and alllllllll the Barbie things. So I’m the person who wants to go the the cinema in a pink outfit and wants to buy the t-shirts of all the Barbie collections (which I don’t because I don’t find the slogans fun enough). We will see. 

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

'Tell me you are a middle aged man without telling me you are a middle aged man.'

I won't have time to see it this weekend, but I WILL be seeing this, because it looks /gloriously/ bonkers.

2 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Honestly I expect it to out-sell Oppenheimer by a significant margin, at least the first weekend.

averaging out a few projections, its going to perform Oppenheimer 2 to 1.   At my local cinema there is 15 showings of Barbie a day, and 7 of Oppenheimer. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

10 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Oh how come your daughters aren’t watching it with a group of friends? Not that there’s anything wrong with watching it with parents, just curious, as it sounds like something I would have wanted to see with a girl gang as a teenager. 

They're actually going to see it with friends too. For the second time. But first, we have a little family tradition to watch certain movies together at the theater, and second, it's supposed to be a kinda late father's day present, they're going to pay for my ticket. :)

Edited by 3CityApache

7 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Gonna see it with both my daughters (15 and 17) before I watch Oppenheimer (in which they don't have any interest whatsoever).

Tell them Iron Man is in it.

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit, some box office projections have it opening to $140 million, how is this possible?

Barbenheimer. It’s a phenomenon. 

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I keep hearing this about the marketing being amazing, i have seen nothing other than a couple of migraine inducing trailers.  

viral marketing. people on the internet love repeating what other people on the internet do

Edited by Relic

I'm gonna need quite a few rousing reviews before I deign to consider that Barbie is anything remotely resembling quality.

Also not interested in Oppenheimer, I guess. Just hasn't captured my imagination yet. Side note: My grandfather helped in some degree to develop the atom bomb and openly expressed his regrets about it to my mother. Wish I had the chance to ask him about it but he died before I was born. I've reviewed his service history and also know he was an engineer of note at the time ... but there's nothing more to discover, I'm afraid.

Edited by Ser Not Appearing

11 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

A multi million dollar brand, with years of backstory and childhood nostalgia spanning generations? Maybe its not a film you're interested in but its not hard to see why its projected to do so well 

Yeah, if you replace Mattel/Barbie with Marvel it makes perfect sense. Although the latter wasnt explicitly marketed towards young males, that was their target demographic for sure. No one looked down at the anticipation for those movies, they should be equally generous here.

Of course the two franchises arent exactly equivalent, and Barbie (the doll itself) has some problematic elements, but those are largely disconnected from this movie (which as I mentioned before has feminist/'woke' undertones although the Mattel CEO pushed back at the feminist characterization)

11 hours ago, IFR said:

No way am I going to miss a beach off! Oppenheimer first, of course.

The captions for this clip are funny. Instead of "beaching" each other off, it says "beating" off. Way to spill the joke, YouTube! /woosh

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

A multi million dollar brand, with years of backstory and childhood nostalgia spanning generations? Maybe its not a film you're interested in but its not hard to see why its projected to do so well 

140 million (which is admittedly a optimistic projection) is batman money.  Barbie doesn't that level of inbuilt audience. Sindy was better anyway. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sindy