Whatcha Watching?

Ramsay B.

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Terminator 2 >

Terminator 2 can't even hold a candle to Terminator, which in and of itself is not as good as Aliens.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Godfather 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This one gets closer, but still Aliens for me!

53 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Evil Dead 2..

Even though it’s a sort of remake, it’s just much better than the first one.

I mean, sure, and the example is apt since they basically changed genre. But it hardly bats in the same league as Empire Strikes Back, Godfather 2, Top Gun 2, Road Warrior, For a Few Dollars More and naturally Aliens.

57 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Staying Alive >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I never actually dared to finish this :P but if this one counts, I'll be forced to nominate Grease 2 and no one wants that!

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Season 7 of Rick and Morty has been okay but not great, and I'm wondering if the writer's room is starting to run out of ideas. We'll see.

Come on Ran, no love even for the Pope? :o

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Okay this is just uncouth behaviour. 

Of course, the actual best sequel is Paddington 2. 

It's actually on my list to watch both the first and the second one this Christmas, as I have seen neither of the two Paddington films.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

Someone woke up and chose violence today.

3 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I mean, sure, and the example is apt since they basically changed genre. But it hardly bats in the same league as Empire Strikes Back, Godfather 2, Top Gun 2, Road Warrior, For a Few Dollars More and naturally Aliens.

No love for Escape from L.A.? 

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Reacher, season 2, up on AP 8 PM (my time), a day early.

Domenick Lombardozzi,  "Herc' on The Wire, is a character. Happy to see him working again.

I'm planning to watch Reacher this weekend, or at least some of it.

Lombardozzi was also on Tulsa King recently.

On 12/13/2023 at 1:18 PM, KingAerys_II said:

The Lighthouse, William Defoe, Robert Pattinson

Last thing we saw at the cinema before Covid closed everything down. Never seen a B&W film so bright before.

Watched the Who Killed Jill Dando doc on Netflix. Somehow I had managed to not know all that background stuff about the man they convicted for it (the stuff about Princess Diana eeeeeeee :wacko: :blink:). It's pretty hard to wrap your head around how someone can be simultaneously 'harmless' 'slow' 'in the bottom 1 percentile' etc and yet also be a sex offender. Yikes all round.

Edited by Isis

Watched Blue Eye Samurai last weekend. Wow. I was not expecting such a good show. I haven't watched any anime past the first episode in years, so I had no expectations. Very pleased with the characters and that it got renewed for a second season.

And I'm very late to the game (just got Apple TV recently) but we've been watching For All Mankind. Nearly done with season. Such a great concept for an alt history show. Looking forward to seeing the story jump in subsequent seasons.

18 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Watched Blue Eye Samurai last weekend. Wow. I was not expecting such a good show. I haven't watched any anime past the first episode in years, so I had no expectations. Very pleased with the characters and that it got renewed for a second season.

I really liked it. Would you actually say it’s Anime though? It’s a western production and it feels western in almost every way except its setting. That’s probably why I was able to attune myself to it more easily than what I’d class as Anime.

I was in the mood for some more action last night and after a quick search, I decided to try out Extraction 2. I have to say I had my doubts, since I thought the first Extraction film was rather unspectacular, but I was pleasantly surprised by how the film turned out.

It definitely retains some of the same problems as the first film, namely that the protagonist is incredibly generic and that the villains are hilariously powerful (it is implied they basically own Georgia) until the actual fighting starts, but I did really like the first 2/3 of the film.

The film can be divided into three action set pieces, with the first two being really enjoyable to watch, with lots of creative kills (and these are not just reserved for the protagonist, I thought his supporting team members were also given good slices of action). Unfortunately, it does run out of steam in the final act where it chooses to reduce the size and scale of the action for the standard morality play type ending we get a lot in action movies.

Sadly, since I did not care for the main villain, nor the stakes, nor the protagonist really (despite a marked improvement in comparison with the first film), it just failed to really capture my attention. This, unlike the earlier henchmen-consuming melees and shoot-outs, which I would have loved to see more off.

I also think it was a mistake to 

Spoiler

kill the villain’s uncle. His character had potential and I was very intrigued by that character, they could have made better use of him.

Anyways, this has given me appetite for a third Extraction film, which I didn’t think I would ever desire, so it is worth a watch if you like this type of film.

18 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

No love for Escape from L.A.? 

I think I have seen it. Not sure whether I remember much from it, or confuse it with scenes from Escape from NY.

10 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

Just prepare yourself for a huge drop in quality, especially in the third season.

This latest season has been a definite improvement, though. But yeah, season 2 and 3 have some definite issues with melodrama.

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I really liked it. Would you actually say it’s Anime though? It’s a western production and it feels western in almost every way except its setting. That’s probably why I was able to attune myself to it more easily than what I’d class as Anime.

My assumption before watching it was it was an "anime", but you're right: It's definitely a western production. More of an adult Avatar: TLAB or Dragon Prince (which I've only seen the first few seasons of). 

I grew up watching anime shows (Robotech/Macross, Gatchamen/Battle of the Planets, etc) but never really cared for the movies like Bubblegum Crisis or Akira (sacrilege, I know).

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

I think I have seen it. Not sure whether I remember much from it, or confuse it with scenes from Escape from NY.

L.A. had the surfing scene. It's terrible, but also great.

@Ran

Reviews so far appear to be tearing Rebel Moon a new one. It's at the moment the worst reviewed of all of his works on Metacritic, 2nd worst on RT (Sucker Punch is the film vying in contention with it).

One of my cousins who works in the industry was on set for this and showed me some stunt footage. I knew it was going to be bad. Pretty curious to watch it for myself. 

2 hours ago, Myrddin said:

I'm 5 episodes into this right now and love it. What a fantastic show.