The Small Stuff That Doesn't Need, or Even Want, a Thread. #6

LongRider

54 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Interesting. Was that because of massive German U-boat superiority? Why haven't there been more submarine battles

The u-boats failed to sink any Allied subs - it’s probably very hard for two underwater vessels moving around in three dinensions to hit one another based on sonar.

The British captain in the link who sunk the u-boat was apparently very good at maths and, during the hours-long battle, correctly calculated (based on the u-boat’s prior zig-zagging) where it was most likely to go. He fired all four tubes (half of its eight torpedoes). The u-boat detected thr launch, dived to avoid three torps, and got hit by the fourth.

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

1 minute ago, A wilding said:

Not easy for submerged submarines to find each other? At least with only WW2 technology.

Not easy for subs to stay submerged for a long length of time.  They needed to run diesel engines while at the surface or with a snorkel just below the surface to charge the batteries that powered the sub while underwater and silent. It was easier to find them after the surfaced.

6 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

The u-boats failed to sink any Allied subs - it’s probably very hard for two underwater vessels moving around in three dinensions to hit one another based on sonar.

The British captain in the link who sunk the u-boat was apparently very good at maths and, during the hours-long battle, correctly calculated (based on the u-boat’s prior zig-zagging) where it was most likely to go. He fired all four tubes (half of its eight torpedoes). The u-boat detected thr launch, dived to avoid three torps, and got hit by the fourth.

Tbh, this is a better reason for math-centered learning than Sunak's dream that everyone becomes a finance bro.  You could make a good learning game out of this scenario if you could simplify the maths enough. 

1 hour ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Tbh, this is a better reason for math-centered learning than Sunak's dream that everyone becomes a finance bro.  You could make a good learning game out of this scenario if you could simplify the maths enough. 

I dunno. The capability to enrich myself seems to be a much more real world skill than sinking enemy submarines with sonar.

I would even go so far to say that as a finance bro, your chances of sinking underwater vehicles are higher.

My airline has rescheduled my connection flight from 21:15 to 16:30. But I will arrive at 17:35. This is already the return flight so canceling is not really an option.

This is bad for my wife cause she will take this flight home. So what on earth is KLM thinking?

The positive side effect may be for me. I won't be able to be on this flight in any case so maybe I can get a refund for this impossible flight?

On 7/12/2023 at 5:23 PM, BigFatCoward said:

Any teachers out there can comment on what presents they do/don't like receiving from kids?

At the end of every school year, our art teacher has the students make a postcard for their favorite teacher.  I usually get 1 or 2.  I treasure those a lot, keep them in a special folder on my desk.  I always smile when I look at them, even the one that says COYS (Come On You Spurs) even though it stabs at the heart of the Arsenal fan within.

Beyond that, my school is strict on this issue.  The teachers can't look like they are accepting bribes.  So besides those postcards, I only get offered a piece of candy every once in a while.  

Edited by Teng Ai Hui

Can someone explain to me why, other than outdated sexism, women tennis players don't play best of five sets. 

For me, this why men's tennis is a far superior spectacle. Epic five-setters that go on for six hours. Lovely stuff. 

Edited by Spockydog

IIRC an episode of Peaky Blinders was set partially at this Fair.

Beautiful photos.

Home Is Where the Horses Are for a Threatened Culture
The Appleby Horse Fair draws tens of thousands of Gypsies and Irish Travellers each year to a rural patch of England to celebrate their culture. Our photographer spent four days there.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/15/world/europe/appleby-horse-fair.html?

Support this womans GoFundMe. A 93 y.o. descendant of slaves is fighting back a Hilton Head coastal developer trying to run her off her own property. 

‘I want to be left alone’: 93-year-old Hilton Head Island woman in legal battle over family land

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/15/us/hilton-head-woman-land-battle-reaj

Kyrie Irving has donated $40k and Producer Tyler Perry responded-"Please tell me what , where and when you need me. I want to help!"

Looks like this Developer has tried to bully the wrong old lady and im so loving it!

I took a sewing class this weekend. It was 30ishC in the workshop room because they didn’t have an AC, but it was worth every minute of melting and every penny of the fee because it was the most rewarding, fulfilling and endorphin inducing chunk of free time I’ve had in ages.

You know, I love love love to learn new analogue skills, I love manual hobbies. I would never in a million years trade this weekend for a generative AI online course in an air conned room frying my brain in front of yet another screen, no matter how much more future forward and marketable that would be. I don’t care about AI, I don’t care about design thinking and agile and learning  experience design and digital learning, god knows I don’t give a shit. I mean I try to, on weekdays between 9 to 5, but in my heart I want more sewing classes and an embroidery class and a class where they teach me how to make homemade pasta from scratch and a pie making class and a flower/wreath arrangement making class and an entire course on creative writing. 

Well. I will bask some more in this feeling of accomplishment and meaning.

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I have never once glanced at, nor remotely understood what a rev counter is for. 

My ex father-in-law, a total knobhead, never stopped banging on about how the rev counter was the most important dial on the dashboard. The twat.