Andy Serkis to direct 'The Hunt for Gollum' for a 2026 release. Peter Jackson is producing.

So, uh, yeah seems WB are beginning a LOTR spin-off series. They've got the animated War of the Rohirrim this year and they've announced a Gollum movie for the future: https://variety.com/2024/film/news/lord-of-the-rings-movie-2026-release-warner-bros-1235997102/

Jackson, Boyens & Walsh are involved as producers. The same writers of WOTR (one of whom is Boyens' daughter) are involved in the early writing stage. Yeah... it's a thing. 

FFS guys if you can't make an original fantasy IP (which, fine, that's hard) at least pick one of the many great unadapted books or series and make something good out of that. 

Decisions like this just show the studio heads' lack of belief in their own ability to lead and promote a good project without the cruch of an existing supermassive property. It's just cowardice. 

Posted (edited)

Presumably based on the extended account of "The Hunt for the Ring" in Unfinished Tales. Are we getting Viggo Mortensen digitally youthened to look like he did back in the early 2000s, or are they casting someone else? That's what I'm curious about.

Edited by Ran

They cannot have Sir Ian or (Sir) Viggo play their former roles for obvious age reasons so they would have to recast otherwise it'll be a gross de-ageing mess.

I see why it makes sense for Serkis to do this. Not sure why PJ wants to be involved really. But perhaps it does not happen at all without his name.

Fellowship of Fans claim WB approached Jackson to discuss movies, suggesting a 'Young Aragorn' or 'Young Gandalf' movie. Jackson allegedly was against it, but came on board for the Hunt for Gollum: 

1 hour ago, Isis said:

They cannot have Sir Ian or (Sir) Viggo play their former roles for obvious age reasons so they would have to recast otherwise it'll be a gross de-ageing mess.

I see why it makes sense for Serkis to do this. Not sure why PJ wants to be involved really. But perhaps it does not happen at all without his name.

It's okay, they can bring back Orlando Bloom as Legolas, again.

3 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

It's okay, they can bring back Orlando Bloom as Legolas, again.

Legolas skating on his zimmerframe down the stairs of the old people's home.

5 hours ago, Ran said:

Presumably based on the extended account of "The Hunt for the Ring" in Unfinished Tales. Are we getting Viggo Mortensen digitally youthened to look like he did back in the early 2000s, or are they casting someone else? That's what I'm curious about.

It's WB.  They aren't paying for more rights. This will be based on the what, two paragraphs devoted to it in Fellowship of the Ring, except with some added characters to it, likely showing Aragorn how to do stuff.

Posted (edited)

@Slurktan

The report is that Embracer is involved, and per Deadline:

The financial terms of the acquisition [of the Saul Zaentz Company's rights by Embracer] were not disclosed. But the deal means Embracer Group will pick up the motion picture, video game, board game, merchandising, theme parks and stage production rights relating to The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit franchises as well as matching rights in other Middle-earth-related literary works authorized by the Tolkien Estate and HarperCollins, which have yet to be explored.

Emphasis mine. Sound to me like UT stuff that takes place within the bounds of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings are part of the rights that have been acquired.

If the War of the Rohirrim is a succees, I'd be interested in seeing "The Battles of the Fords of Isen" adapted (in animation, not film).

Edited by Ran

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ser Drewy said:

Fellowship of Fans claim WB approached Jackson to discuss movies, suggesting a 'Young Aragorn' or 'Young Gandalf' movie. Jackson allegedly was against it, but came on board for the Hunt for Gollum: 

A “Young Gandalf” movie.  In two words these executives tell the whole world they have not even a pinch of a sense of what the hell they are talking about… “maybe have Gandalf as a teenager at his wizard’s academy… the viewers would… love… that… our own Tolkien Harry Potter!!!”

:shocked:

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

2 hours ago, Ran said:

@Slurktan

The report is that Embracer is involved, and per Deadline:

Emphasis mine. Sound to me like UT stuff that takes place within the bounds of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings are part of the rights that have been acquired.

If the War of the Rohirrim is a succees, I'd be interested in seeing "The Battles of the Fords of Isen" adapted (in animation, not film).

I was reading the Fords of Isen the other week there. The level of effort Tolkien put into the surrounding detail, logistics and strategy of the two battles in LOTR is honestly pretty insane.