MCU - Hawkeye v Snowcat

BigFatCoward

Just came back and it was okay. Better than GotG2, not as good as 1, better than most of the MCU movies since Endgame, although I wouldn't rank it massively far ahead of Multiverse of Madness and probably on a par with No Way Home, maybe marginally better.

Spoiler

I think the structure of interleaving Rocket's flashbacks with the modern-day storyline was very well-done, not a huge fan of bringing in Rocket's entire supporting cast from the comics and killing them instantly (like, fuck that), and having his 3-film arc culminate with him discovering that yes, he's a fucking racoon after all was decidedly underwhelming. I liked Adam Warlock being a bit of a doofus and the way he switched sides to the good guys was reasonably well-done, even if it does mean the Guardians now have the same problem as the Avengers do with Captain Marvel, they basically have a person on their team who should be able to solve all problems instantly with everyone else sitting it out. Though Adam being an idiot is a bit of an achilles heel for them.

The villain was well-played but his devolution from rational scientists to frothing lunatic was boring. Also good to see that a villain who gets loads of his henchmen killed will eventually face an uprising from their ranks.

Knowhere coming out of hyperspace and fucking shit up was a cool visual. The one-shot hall fight was excellently done. Gamora's story arc was surprisingly decent, and the film I think did a good job of calling out Quill's bullshit: no dude, she's not your girlfriend, she's a different person from another timeline, get a fucking grip (oddly reminiscent of La Forge and Leah Brahms in Star Trek, but they didn't fuck up the resolution like they did).

The film was very schmaltzy and saccharine to the point of cheesecorn. Yeah, found family we get it. They must have heavily fought the urge to have Groot's first proper phrase be "family". It would have been more effective if they just rolled back on it. I did like the bit where they told Drax he was just the comic relief and to get over himself effective, if a bit harsh. Not sure if I like them deleting his memory of the event. Mantis was better-served in this film than prior appearances.

Bit puzzled by the ending: of all the Guardians characters, a Star Lord solo movie is probably the one I'd be least interested in. A Rocket solo movie or one with the neo-Guardians would be fun.

Surprised Michelle Yeoh wasn't in this one but she must be booked solid at the moment.

My thoughts was that it was a perfectly reasonably entertaining movie that I will almost certainly forget about in a day or so. 

Spoiler

One thing I found myself missing is Rocket. The first two movies had him as the primary force of just absurd chaos and weirdness, which added both some real stakes to the show when he went and did something stupid and some very weird plans and actions (like the gravity mines in 2). With Rocket on the sideline and being mostly the emotional key we had...nothing like that, really. They tried to replace it with Drax/Mantis but their form of chaos is mostly in not understanding things or being obtuse about social norms. Between that missing and Quill being in super mopey mode it just wasn't quite as fun for me. 

Reading all of the above...I can't help but wonder if the best of the MCU is behind us, and that which is to come will never quite reach the peaks of the Infinity Saga? Once upon a time, MCU films felt like this big...thing, an event. Now it's just...eh. You know, Marvel has another movie out. Probably has CGI and shootybang. I just find it so hard to be as excited for any of them as I used to be. Nor are they talking points among my friends, beyond "how bad was the CGI". 

Do others have similar feelings?

25 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Reading all of the above...I can't help but wonder if the best of the MCU is behind us, and that which is to come will never quite reach the peaks of the Infinity Saga? Once upon a time, MCU films felt like this big...thing, an event. Now it's just...eh. You know, Marvel has another movie out. Probably has CGI and shootybang. I just find it so hard to be as excited for any of them as I used to be. Nor are they talking points among my friends, beyond "how bad was the CGI". 

Do others have similar feelings?

I noticed I don't even watch the trailers anymore. Spider-Man was the last time I couldn't just wait for the Disney+ release.

I'm still invested in the universe, I've no doubt I'll watch the trailers for the next Avengers and go see it. They've had a meh run of movies but the TV stuff has been mostly quite enjoyable. I loved the Werewolf thing, do more one off weird shit like that. 

So one thing that bothered me about GotG vol 3, was why was Gamora 2.0 so mean? In End Game, we're led to believe this is basically Gamora, only a few days away from meeting Quill and the rest of the gang, but if you go back and watch GotG vol 1, Gamora is a really kind person even at the start of that film. Out of all of the characters at the start of Vol 1 she is the most morally kind, who's trying to stop Thanos from getting the orb, simply because it's the right thing.

GotG v1 Gamora was pretty much a loner. While she was more empathetic in the initial scene with Thanos and Nebula (in that company, not a high bar to beat), she was very antagonistic until after the prison break out. She basically sucker punched Quill and carved up Groot to get the Orb. And her rep in the prison as a killer was pretty stark.

Agreed, that she came around pretty quickly, but even then she was kneeing Quill for trying to dance with her.

GotG v3 Gamora lines up pretty well as an alt.

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

GotG v1 Gamora was pretty much a loner. While she was more empathetic in the initial scene with Thanos and Nebula (in that company, not a high bar to beat), she was very antagonistic until after the prison break out. She basically sucker punched Quill and carved up Groot to get the Orb. And her rep in the prison as a killer was pretty stark.

Agreed, that she came around pretty quickly, but even then she was kneeing Quill for trying to dance with her.

GotG v3 Gamora lines up pretty well as an alt.

She also spared Drax life and was the only member of the team who wanted to get the orb away from Thanos, because she wasn’t interested in money.

Edited by sifth

15 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

All episodes at once for Echo … an odd time to experiment with the release schedule. Maybe they need to make room for something else in December / January?

Echo has been delayed so long.  Possibly need to get it out so Kingpin's storyline (i presume is in it) is seen before they can put out Daredevil.  Matt Murdoch is also in it.

And perhaps they really want to get Daredevil out asap to juice subscriptions to D+.

Edited by SpaceChampion

11 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

Henry Rollins I know and respect, but who the hell is Seth Rollins?

He is a visionary!  He is a revolutionary!  He is the Monday Night Messiah!

Saw GOTG3 last night.  It definitely went for the emotion, although a little over the top in my mind.  The "family" bickering...I get it...but sometimes it was just outright mean and nasty.  And the suits that Nathan Fillion and his guards wore...what?

I found the first post-credit scene a little odd...

Spoiler

So, in the main movie, Rocket goes out of his way to save all the animals.  And here we are in the post-credit scene, and he's ready to the lead the new Guardians to slaughter a herd of seemingly innocent animals?  

On 5/18/2023 at 8:50 AM, HokieStone said:

Saw GOTG3 last night.  It definitely went for the emotion, although a little over the top in my mind.  The "family" bickering...I get it...but sometimes it was just outright mean and nasty.  And the suits that Nathan Fillion and his guards wore...what?

I found the first post-credit scene a little odd...

Reveal hidden contents

So, in the main movie, Rocket goes out of his way to save all the animals.  And here we are in the post-credit scene, and he's ready to the lead the new Guardians to slaughter a herd of seemingly innocent animals?  

Why do you think they are innocent?

The Brazilian dub of No Way Home contains captions of the background voices (where Peter is settling in to his apartment) mentioning "Miles".  The speakers are identified as Jeff and Rio, who are the parents of Miles Morales.   So a live-action Miles maybe be coming soon.

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/spider-man-no-way-easter-egg-miles-morales