Watch, Watched, Watching: It's Award Season

Tywin et al.

2 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Yes.

So far no philosophy nerd nihilist monologues though.

Reveal hidden contents

I'm wondering if there is some connection with season 1.  Rust Cohle's father is named Travis and is from Alaska.  There are obvious nods to season 1 in the show.  Season 4 Travis is dead... but appearing either as a ghost or hallucination.  Could this be Rust's dad?  Depends on how long ago Travis died.

I just remembered I only watched a little bit of S3. Guess maybe I should start there, but I agree with Ran, the show has tried to pack too much shit into it. S2 would probably have worked better if it was two different seasons.

14 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I'm rapidly losing interest in this season. It's so utterly ridiculous at this point that they could just add 80s guitar riffs and sax solos and it'd immediately become a self-referential parody of 80s cheesy action shows. They're drowning the actor's natural charisma in absurdity. The NYPD cop was so ridiculous that I expected him at any moment to look directly at the camera and say "I'M NYPD BRO" and storm off the screen.

I was laughing through much of the last episode I watched, but for the wrong reasons. I'll finish out the season, certainly, but perhaps they should stick to rural settings to minimize how silly it is for some guy to blow into town and kill 50 bad guys and still walk around in public.

12 hours ago, Zorral said:

This season really is inferior in all ways to the first season.  Even the actor playing Reacher isn't as good this time around, which seems weird, unless, well the material they have all been given?

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one having issues with this season. I figured as much since I didn't see much about the recent episodes on here. Always a bad sign if the discussion runs into a lull.

Recently watched Into the spiderverse and was pleasantly surprised. I'd gotten superhero fatigue a few years ago so this was very low on my list, but a friend insisted I watch it, and I found it seriously good. Will try Across the spiderverse now, and hope that

Spoiler

Miles and Gwen get some time together

19 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I watched episode 6 of Reacher. It was kind of boring. I still have seven to watch, but it's beginning to feel a bit like a chore.

17 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I'm rapidly losing interest in this season. It's so utterly ridiculous at this point that they could just add 80s guitar riffs and sax solos and it'd immediately become a self-referential parody of 80s cheesy action shows. They're drowning the actor's natural charisma in absurdity. The NYPD cop was so ridiculous that I expected him at any moment to look directly at the camera and say "I'M NYPD BRO" and storm off the screen.

I was laughing through much of the last episode I watched, but for the wrong reasons. I'll finish out the season, certainly, but perhaps they should stick to rural settings to minimize how silly it is for some guy to blow into town and kill 50 bad guys and still walk around in public.

15 hours ago, Zorral said:

This season really is inferior in all ways to the first season.  Even the actor playing Reacher isn't as good this time around, which seems weird, unless, well the material they have all been given?

Not criticizing your takes on the show, but based on the what I see on the internet you guys are in the minority on this one, even with the critics. I, too, think it's not quite at the level of season 1, but I still enjoy it a lot. The flashback sequences are especially solid, allowing a better understanding of the secondary characters and their relationship with Reacher.

I suppose others' suspension of belief is stronger than ours for whatever reasons. Zorral and I have both lived in the city - myself in Queens on a street that looked exactly like the one he blew a house up on, then walked away. There would have been 20 people with cameras and 3 cop cars within minutes. I think that was the scene that started my skepticism. Every scene in New York has been wildly unrealistic; though I suppose that happens constantly in media.

Although I know plenty about small rural towns like the one he laid a string of corpses in Season 1, and was relatively able to stomach the absurdity. I'm still having fun with the show, I just think it's jumped the shark and consider it more of an unintentional comedy at this point.

Spoiler

I mean good lord they just had a major pistol vs semi automatic sniper rifles gunfight next to an important funeral and... it didn't shut down the city? Then the assassin is just some "Aw, shucks guys sorry!" bumpkin? Yeesh.

5 hours ago, Veltigar said:

having issues with this season

On more reflection after the latest episode I realized that somehow the show has managed to project Reacher en scene more than once as, at the very least borderline, buffoon.  That's a death knell, and why are they doing it?  That was the great attraction and charm of the first season, that someone that large was able to project humor, charm, intelligence and competence plausibly on the screen.  We believed in this Reacher.  This season has progressively moved away from all that in each episode.  Why?

@Argonath Diver  Not only do I know NYC very well, but I grew up in the rural world, literally on a farm, with church, school, etc. in small towns.  Very small towns, like population of 300, 800, largest 6,000 population in our purview.

Edited by Zorral

The opening credits sequence for Masters of Air has been released.  Given that it's not as visually iconic as the openings for Band of Brothers or The Pacific, this has done a nice job of managing my expectations.  Will be interested in seeing if my appreciation of the opening score improves or not.  It ended strong for me, but felt pretty week for the first minute or so.

Watched Society of the Snow, the latest Netflix film, directed by Spaniard J.A. Bayona. It's the second major feature film about the Uruguyan 1972 Andes flight crash, the other being Frank Marshall's Alive (a third, earlier film, Survive!, was produced in Mexico and saw limited international play, and was badly reviewed). From my recollection of Alive, I think this one is at least somewhat superior in its construction and most of its performances. It's a really harrowing story, and it's remarkable that anyone survived at all given the immense challenges they faced. I can't imagine struggling on to survive on the desolate face of an Andean mountain, hearing by radio that after ten days the search has been called off, and you know there's nothing to eat (except....) Really remarkable what the human body and will can do, under the circumtances.

Spoiler

I thought it was particularly inspired that the narrator, Numa (Enzo Vogrincic), is not ultimately one of the final sixteen survivors -- he narrates from the after-life, but those unfamiliar with the story will not realize it until his death. It added a poignancy to make him feel like the central character, in a lot of ways.

Of course, one thing the film had a great deal of difficulty of doing (except towards the very end, in a post-rescue sequence where I think they must have used body doubles and digital head replacement)  is just how emaciated they became. Numa, in particular, was one of the men who refused to eat human flesh, and so when his body was recovered it weighed only 25kg. 

I think the sound design of the film is particularly good, particularly during a sequence towards the middle of the film

Spoiler

involving an avalanche engulfing the fuselage of the plane, and the survivors getting buried alive only to one-by-one dig their way out, hearing the muffled cries of others who can't get themselves free. The thrumming creak of the fuselage that heralds the avalanche, the silence and muffled cries, all very visceral.

3 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I suppose others' suspension of belief is stronger than ours for whatever reasons. Zorral and I have both lived in the city - myself in Queens on a street that looked exactly like the one he blew a house up on, then walked away. There would have been 20 people with cameras and 3 cop cars within minutes. I think that was the scene that started my skepticism. Every scene in New York has been wildly unrealistic; though I suppose that happens constantly in media.

Although I know plenty about small rural towns like the one he laid a string of corpses in Season 1, and was relatively able to stomach the absurdity. I'm still having fun with the show, I just think it's jumped the shark and consider it more of an unintentional comedy at this point.

Reveal hidden contents

I mean good lord they just had a major pistol vs semi automatic sniper rifles gunfight next to an important funeral and... it didn't shut down the city? Then the assassin is just some "Aw, shucks guys sorry!" bumpkin? Yeesh.

I would say the suspension of disbelief should apply to 99% of small towns, too, these days. There are cameras everywhere. Margrave never really fit as an isolated small town, it looked connected. So all that happened there should have had the state guys on it in seconds.

I think in season 2

Spoiler

the lack of federal authorities being involved in this is harder thing to wave away, considering the stakes. Though I suppose it's Reacher's own motivations that are keeping the feds at bay since he could have easily alerted the feds, but he's made this personal.

And in both seasons, there have been corrupt cops, more so in this season considering how often Robert Patrick's character seems to be using police resources to find the good guys.

6 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Also, apparently you can fly a helicopter around New York City and shoot at things and nobody apparently cares.

Despite the silliness, I am still enjoying the show.

7 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I liked that they had a DVD of The Thing at the research station, too. 

I dearly hope this show doesn't veer off into the supernatural and they manage to explain all this shit without contrivance. 

That said I love me some John Carpenter anyday :)

10 hours ago, Zorral said:

On more reflection after the latest episode I realized that somehow the show has managed to project Reacher en scene more than once as, at the very least borderline, buffoon.  That's a death knell, and why are they doing it?  That was the great attraction and charm of the first season, that someone that large was able to project humor, charm, intelligence and competence plausibly on the screen.  We believed in this Reacher.  This season has progressively moved away from all that in each episode.  Why?

@Argonath Diver  Not only do I know NYC very well, but I grew up in the rural world, literally on a farm, with church, school, etc. in small towns.  Very small towns, like population of 300, 800, largest 6,000 population in our purview.

I think/hope part of the problem is the extra characters. Reacher at it's best is him and maybe a new side kick from the random town he is in. The absurdity level has to get amped up when you have the rest of the team members there and they also have to get their bad ass moments.  Hoping that S3 is back to Reacher in a small town, maybe Neely for an episode or two but that's it.

Another part of the issue, this book came out close to 20 years ago. Every living human didn't have a smart phone back then. Seeing the action now and knowing it would be on the internet live kind of takes you out of the moment unless you turn that part of your brain off.

Speaking of turning your brain off. I saw The Beekeeper.... wtf was I thinking. I was desperate and hadn't seen a movie in a while and I have 4 free tickets that expire at end of February so against my instinct I saw this. Holy make no sense and is just stupid. There are a couple scenes that make the office scenes in The Wolf of Wall St seem tame.  I can deal w plenty of dumb shit in a movie if it's at least mildly entertaining and makes some sense. Nope. Not even gonna bother with spoilers to try to explain the stupidity. Be glad I saved you the time and don't even watch this at home for free.

Finally got around to starting the last season of Barry, only to get to the end of episode one (which i downloaded ages ago) and realise its not on SKY anymore so i can't watch the rest of it, fucking wankers.