Watch, Watched, Watching: It's Award Season

3 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

True Detective S4E2

Reveal hidden contents

1. Travis Cohle daddyo

2. Spiral shit again

3. Tuttle? Seriously... pedo hillbilly cultists sweet home alabama funding origin of life experiments up in the arctic (cohle again, so s1 no coincidence?) Maybe the non cellular decay bacteria immortality thing?

4. I'm afraid I'm going to learn everyone's been fucking everyone in this town. Ugh I know it's cold but still control your pants folks.

5. Supernatural forsho, like a whole town normalized these visions or apparitions. No scientific unga bunga giing to explain the guy who lmao, survived 48 plus hours naked. White Walkers didnt work the first time around.

6. Foreshadowing, Qavvik dog gonna eat him

7. The trailer, golden eagle, indian thing? And the cousin's name...plus the voodoo props again

8. Gaea is the she who is awake forsho

And it's not empowerment to make female characters insufferable jerks who do things that make up what was problematic when the men did them for so long onscreen

We need a thread ppl

Start one.

I'm digging this season so far, but I’m a sucker for horror stuff with a snowy setting. 

4 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

True Detective S4E2

Reveal hidden contents

1. Travis Cohle daddyo

2. Spiral shit again

3. Tuttle? Seriously... pedo hillbilly cultists sweet home alabama funding origin of life experiments up in the arctic (cohle again, so s1 no coincidence?) Maybe the non cellular decay bacteria immortality thing?

4. I'm afraid I'm going to learn everyone's been fucking everyone in this town. Ugh I know it's cold but still control your pants folks.

5. Supernatural forsho, like a whole town normalized these visions or apparitions. No scientific unga bunga giing to explain the guy who lmao, survived 48 plus hours naked. White Walkers didnt work the first time around.

6. Foreshadowing, Qavvik dog gonna eat him

7. The trailer, golden eagle, indian thing? And the cousin's name...plus the voodoo props again

8. Gaea is the she who is awake forsho

And it's not empowerment to make female characters insufferable jerks who do things that make up what was problematic when the men did them for so long onscreen

We need a thread ppl

Got around to seeing Napoleon. A meticulous production, of course, with some exceptional battle choreography and sequences, and Joaquin Phoenix's performance is excellent... but the script... Man, it does not hang together. The Josephine-Napoleon material which is meant to be a major thread is just a dud, because Josephine is almost entirely passive and inscrutable, and every attempt to show some sort of depth of feeling between them is just a failure. I but that he's enamored of him, but as far as I can tell Josephine seemed only to care for security and position... and yet the end of the film implies, no, not at all. I don't know if Vanessa Kirby is partially at fault here, her Josephine is so guarded and cool much of the time that she is inscrutable, or if it's just completely the conception of the script and how Scott directed it.

Also, the sequence of the forced resignation of the Directory is played for laughs that was a complete miss (particularly the last Directory member with the long take showing his wife in hysterics as he's taken away -- this would have made sense, maybe, if the film showed the Ancien Regimé aristocrats acting in similar fashion, showing how the Directory have simply set themselves up in the same place... but our only real example of the nobility is Marine Antoinette, queen to the last, ignoring the curses and filth flung at her as she bravely walked to the guillotine). 

And the history really is a shambles. While the battle sequences are exciting (particularly the concluding Waterloo), most of what they recount is pure invention (Austerlitz is just a complete fantasy). That said, it does deliver a historical epic feel I suppose, and I really did like Phoenix's performance -- a very different sort of take from his predecessors, I think.

:DWow the exact performance I complained about is the one that got nominated (America Ferrera in Barbie). Just goes to show idk what people want. Apparently, people loved the rant.

On 1/22/2024 at 8:49 PM, Ran said:

The Josephine-Napoleon material which is meant to be a major thread is just a dud, because Josephine is almost entirely passive and inscrutable, and every attempt to show some sort of depth of feeling between them is just a failure. I but that he's enamored of him, but as far as I can tell Josephine seemed only to care for security and position... and yet the end of the film implies, no, not at all. I don't know if Vanessa Kirby is partially at fault here, her Josephine is so guarded and cool much of the time that she is inscrutable, or if it's just completely the conception of the script and how Scott directed it.

I thought Kirby was fine in the role, but the character was so undercooked that it left her with little to do, which is a shame because there was so much potential there. Really if they wanted the whole movie to hang on that relationship, they screwed it up, because the relationship itself makes little sense and is never given the time to show why these two people were attracted to each other. In such a LONG movie, how did they manage to leave that out. From the very first scenes of them together it all seems so incredibly rushed. All in the service of doing a whistlestop tour of Napoleons best bits.

8 hours ago, Gigei said:

:DWow the exact performance I complained about is the one that got nominated (America Ferrera in Barbie). Just goes to show idk what people want. Apparently, people loved the rant.

I doubt they did. That scene was excruciating! The Oscars is very much a back patting exercise and one of self preservation and congratulation, and so it absolutely makes sense why Ferrara would get a nom, especially if they are worried about not giving Gerwig a director nomination (which she didn't deserve anyway) 

Completed A Murder at the End of the World last night. I don't know how explicitly deep a meditation it was, and maybe it was just me because I'd not known much going in, but I feel like the lack of focus hurt it. A bit.

You got the loneliness of exceptionalism, of how past trauma informs and/or restricts reaction to new hurt, or acceptance of new love, our ability to process grief; shades of Women's history like patriarchy, misogyny, violence against women, with smatterings of corporatism, technological impact, climate change, and then almost overshadowing all of it [though less a through line than an accumulation I suppose] how AI couldn't possibly be anything but largely fucked up because they're/it's learning from us.

Not a jaw dropping limited series or anything, but I largely liked it.

Edited by JGP

Finished John Wick 4, mostly thanks to just how awesome Donnie Yen is. Just effortless cool and charisma, amazing contrast in some ways to the extremely taciturn Wick. The fight choreography started to seem to strain to find something new to do, particularly in Osaka -- a few too many "comedic" take downs, which felt weird to me but I guess the stunt team enjoyed it -- but the Parisian finale (particularly the Arc de triomphe roundabout sequence and, yes, the top-down shotgun fight) was pretty good. And who can say no to a murderous Malinois? 

On the whole, the usual crazy action and absurd fantasy of an underworld that breaks out into violence in public and people don't even blink. I'm guessing the authorities do a lot of this:

Also started rewatching L.A. Confidential casually, after having rewatched The Talented Mr. Ripley (and, by coincidence, finishing it before the Andrew Scott black-and-white Netflix series had its trailer reveal -- really interesting to have Minghella's version so fresh in my mind when comparing scenes.) Anyways, L.A. Confidential is another of my all-time favorites, and it starts so well. Terrific script and direction, immediately memorable performances from Guy Pearce, Russel Crowe, James Cromwell, Danny DeVito, Kim Basinger, and, yes, even Kevin Spacey. 

Edited by Ran

43 minutes ago, Ran said:

Finished John Wick 4, mostly thanks to just how awesome Donnie Yen is. Just effortless cool and charisma, amazing contrast in some ways to the extremely taciturn Wick. The fight choreography started to seem to strain to find something new to do, particularly in Osaka -- a few too many "comedic" take downs, which felt weird to me but I guess the stunt team enjoyed it -- but the Parisian finale (particularly the Arc de triomphe roundabout sequence and, yes, the top-down shotgun fight) was pretty good. And who can say no to a murderous Malinois? 

On the whole, the usual crazy action and absurd fantasy of an underworld that breaks out into violence in public and people don't even blink. I'm guessing the authorities do a lot of this:

I appreciate this because John Wick 1 established very early on that the police were 100% in on all of this, knew about the workings and either helped cover it up actively or just ignored it. "You, uh, working again?"

3 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

the preceding Thanksgiving episode. 

I loved that episode too.  Funny, how at the time (1999), it was rated as a loser -- but I didn't see it myself until 2003.

Edited to make clear that I didn't see the episode then because I wasn't watching tv.  But when dvds happened, and and one could play them via computer, and have that extra-large screen, I binged season after season over a whole spring and summer in which I was quite out of commission to do anything but phys therapy, etc.,  due to back trouble.

Edited by Zorral

Rewatching Daredevil Season 1 mainly 'cause it seems Born Again will be closer to it in tone and I won't have to feel too much pangs of longing for the Netflix series when it finally arrives .  Also, Bullseye.

I've seen contradictory reports as to whether Deborah Ann Woll and Elden Henson will be back -and if they are, it will be in a limited capacity(?).  

I guess it might be too much to hope Marci will be back as well but I am hoping nonetheless ('cause I keep thinking of her in those pumps).

Seeing Kingpin again in  DD S1, and the somewhat altered version in Hawkeye, and the one in Echo , I find myself a bit tired of him but what the hell, he's still better than some of the fingers of the Hand.

That reminds me, I wouldn't mind seeing Madam Gao again.

Getting up to speed with Oscar season, so watched Anatomy of a Fall. 

It is a tough one to judge. I know many people loved it and there is a lot of very good elements contained within it. I thought the performances were excellent, the kid who played Daniel took on the role perfectly, Sandra Huller was great in it too. My takeaway from the movie is essentially that it's partly about subjectivity and how we fill in the blanks of stories ourselves, especially given that the movie doesn't really ever give you a full picture of the events of The Fall. 

Justine Triet is up for best director, and again, it's hard to judge. There is nothing flashy visually about the movie, it's almost Dogme 95 in the lack of production. In fact if you had told me it was a french tv movie from the early 90s with a budget of 300 francs I'd have believed you. But there is clearly a quality to the direction that is more than just pretty visuals. 

I'm not sure I loved it however, the first hour is a bit of a trudge, and I came away not feeling especially changed, nor did I have the need to think about the movie once it ended, which I never think is a great sign. Past Lives stayed with me for ages, but this probably didn't. Potentially I am not the right audience and others will like it more if it resonates more for them. For me it seemed like another movie that awards will love but I will never want to watch again.

Watched the first two episodes of Expats, up on AP.  Quite liked it, so far.  The actors are impressive; the central figures are women, so it is female actors who get most of the screen time.  So far the only male actor who feels at their level and stands out is Brian Tee, as Nicole Kidman's character's husband.

19 hours ago, Knight of Ashes said:

Rewatching Daredevil Season 1 mainly 'cause it seems Born Again will be closer to it in tone and I won't have to feel too much pangs of longing for the Netflix series when it finally arrives .  Also, Bullseye.

I've seen contradictory reports as to whether Deborah Ann Woll and Elden Henson will be back -and if they are, it will be in a limited capacity(?).  

I guess it might be too much to hope Marci will be back as well but I am hoping nonetheless ('cause I keep thinking of her in those pumps).

Seeing Kingpin again in  DD S1, and the somewhat altered version in Hawkeye, and the one in Echo , I find myself a bit tired of him but what the hell, he's still better than some of the fingers of the Hand.

That reminds me, I wouldn't mind seeing Madam Gao again.

Oh wow, I didn’t realize Jon Bernthal and  Wilson Bethel were returning as Punisher and Bullseye. I’m far more interested now..

Boardwalk Empire S01E09

So far, so good. Barring the fantastic pilot (Scorsese and excesses, wah) everything feels content to be just good enough, nice and easy. The writing and performances and technical team all same, content to make us more than interested but I'm not getting any whoa payoffs like The Sopranos did early on. Both are paced similarly yet...

Kids are watching Paws of Fury, an utterly forgettable illumination style animation you never heard of.

The notable point is that one of the main animal characters is voiced by Ricky Gervais. It’s possibly one of the worst voice acting performances I’ve ever endured. The extreme lack of effort comes through in every word. 

Which made me think, has anyone with so little talent ever been so over promoted? He’s got so many gigs from essentially making one good show 20 years ago. I liked Extras as well as the Office but he’s been riding on that train for so long. In that time he’s gotten roles in major Hollywood movies and has absolutely sucked in all of them. I almost had to turn off Stardust because of how out of place he was. Plus him chumming it up with other comedians as if he deserves to be in the same room as Seinfeld or Larry David or Louis CK. 

I mean his stand up is just a collection of obvious observations your grandad would make over Christmas dinner. He’s shit at that too.

Rant over, but I guess the kids liked Paws of Fury.

6 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Scorsese

He had very little to do with Boardwalk Empire, really, except credit for the pilot, which sold the thing.  It was all Winter.  And he will tell you so, believe me! We took him and a team to Cuba, when he thought he'd do a series based in Havana, and were stuck in their company for far too long.  I loved Boardwalk Empire -- all of it, except the bs that was supposed to take place in Cuba but which was so obviously a set built in Queens NYC.  But Winter himself is a total jerkwaddie.  Nor did he and his group understand a single thing they saw in Havana.  They didn't 'get' Cuba, in other words.  But you know, as Winter will tell you, he is The Expert on all things gang and organized crimel, wherever and whenever. :rolleyes:

Edited by Zorral