Watch, Watched, Watching: It's Award Season

It's late, but here are the things I watched:

Barbie - it was fun, loved the look of the Barbie world. I did not like America Ferrera's speech thing that she used to snap the hypnotized Barbies out of that state. I guess I liked 70% of it, which is good enough.

The Super Mario Bros. Movie - surprisingly fun! I wasn't expecting much and I was very pleasantly surprised.

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves - wow, it was actually watchable, lol. I don't remember anything from it now so I guess it was forgettable, but I remember liking it when I watched

3 hours ago, Gigei said:

It's late, but here are the things I watched:

Barbie - it was fun, loved the look of the Barbie world. I did not like America Ferrera's speech thing that she used to snap the hypnotized Barbies out of that state. I guess I liked 70% of it, which is good enough.

Don't you mean "good kenough?"

:leaving:

Speaking of America Ferrara, I've just finished watching Ugly Betty for the first time (I was slightly too young when it started and didn't watch much TV in any case). A few things haven't aged well but at its heart, the show holds up and I really enjoyed it.

And God damn if Vanessa Williams isn't one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen. She's also just got such a natural commanding presence that made her perfect as Wilhelmina 

Edited by HexMachina

34 minutes ago, baxus said:

I've been watching a bit more anime than usual recently. Currently, I'm watching Vinland Saga, finished season 1 and started season 2. If there are any anime lovers who've missed it so far, I'd recommend checking it out.

Too few people have seen it, I thought. Really well done. Second is more mature in my it's storytelling than the first, but substantially less action-driven as well. 

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Next on the agenda is either reservation dogs, the bear or somebody somewhere. Anyone got a recommendation? 

Reservation Dogs is both a better show and a funnier show. I still do not understand for a second how the Bear is considered comedy, but it is not as good anyway. 

32 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Next on the agenda is either reservation dogs, the bear or somebody somewhere. Anyone got a recommendation? 

Not seen Reservation Dogs, but The Bear is terrific. It really rises to new heights with its second season, though, some really remarkable episodes.

Also, lets see... Fargo finished its latest season, and it was really good fun, with Juno Temple, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Jon Hamm, Dave Foley, Joe Keery, and more really just making it a delightful show to watch. Doesn't end perfectly for me, but it ends pretty well.

For All Mankind, which has a dedicated thread here, ended its fourth season and on the whole it was superior to the third season. I wouldn't call it great television, but it's solidly entertaining a lot of the time.

And I binged Beef after its Emmy wins. The initial trailers and buzz made it just seem like a comedy of people escalating their anger, and that seemed to me like it might grow tiresome. And yes, that's a part of it... but I was surprised and impressed by the more serious, dramatic turns it took, especially in the back half. I didn't expect it, and I really enjoyed it. Oh, the final  two episodes in retrospect may be a bit of a mess in some ways, going over-board, but in context of the show's almost karmic approach to things... I think it holds together. Steven Yeun and Ali Wong definitely deserved their Emmys this past weekend. 

Edited by Ran

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

I haven't seen Reservation Dogs so I can't say anything about it.

The Bear and Somebody Somewhere are both good, but while the latter is a dramedy, I don't think The Bear has enough of them to be called comedy. I had trouble getting into it because of all the kitchen slang, but season 2 is better than season 1.

Both have a similar topic premise of the protagonist reeling from their sibling's suicide and trying to do something new with their life, while having a complicated relationship with another sibling and parent(s), but the protagonist of The Bear is very depressed and troubled, while the protagonist of Somebody Somewhere is laid back and taking life easy. The Bear takes place in Chicago and has people always talking 100 km an hour, Somebody Somewhere takes place in Kansas and everything seems more laid back and slower. The Bear also has character that fans find hot (including a depressed male lead that just did a sexy photoshoot - though he does nothing for me, Ebon Moss-Bacharach who plays Richie however...), Somebody Somewhere is very unusual for a US show because it has a cast that's mostly not conventionally attractive - the lead is a plus size 40-something woman. It also has major LGBTQI characters, including a transman (The Bear so far, as far as we know, does not). The Bear is ethnically/racially diverse, Somebody Somewhere is not (well, they're in rural Kansas). The Bear also has a bunch of big guest stars, mostly in season 2 (Jon Bernthal, Jamie Lee Curtis, Olivia Colman, Wil Poulter, Bob Odenkirk, John Mulaney, almost a cameo by Sarah Poulson) while Somebody Somewhere does not (and generally is lower profile so far).

Edited by Annara Snow

The first two episodes of BBC1's 2023 series, Belfast based, Blue Lights, went up on Britbox here last night.  I watched the first episode, and from that alone I agree with the reviews -- highly positive.

Rookie cops, still on probation, attempting to learn the ins and outs of policing -- good and bad, and the internal pressures, prejudices and rivalries.

13 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Slow Horses on Apple TV. I got a free 2-month trial, but even if you have to pay for a month and binge, worth it

Watched Echo and it was ok. It's only 5 episodes so you don't have to invest too much into it. It basically felt like a five episode origin story. If it gets another season I'll watch but if not I won't even remember it. One or two good characters, lots of stuff makes no sense but that's expected nowadays.  

Finale to 2nd season of Reacher was fittingly stupid to the progressive stupid of the entire season, Mission Impossible on the cheap, and thinking we buy Canada as NYC, the Hudson River Valley, D.C., etc.  How did it go so bad from the first season?

Yeah, while I enjoyed season 2 of Reacher, the wanton disregard of the law, bloodthirstiness at the conclusion, and the near swerve into the fantastical was too much. Never ready any of the books, but I don't really believe this one was the same.

Just finished a rewatch of Band of Brothers and the Pacific.  A friend pointed out this BBC Review of BoB

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20240119-masters-of-the-air-why-band-of-brothers-is-the-last-great-uncool-tv-show

Now overall the review is very positive about the series, but seems to be begging people to watch it despite being too dedicated to truth and being 'uncool': 

'It's also notable that almost all of its US soldiers, not just those in Easy Company, are white. In episode six, a black nurse helps out in a makeshift hospital in Bastogne, Belgium, but, unlike her white co-worker, she doesn't have any lines. For all of these reasons, the series has come to seem slightly dated and musty in the 20-odd years since it premiered to universal acclaim.

Still, it would be wrong to see Band of Brothers as a relic. These days, its unvarnished sincerity stands out as its most valuable asset. Committed to getting its facts straight with as little embellishment as possible, it could be the last great uncool television series.'

While the culture war crap the conservative right has been waging has been fairly idiotic, suggesting that a docudrama about a racially segregated military company is dated and uncool because it gets its facts straight about the racial makeup of the company is just bizarre.  While for many reasons the 1940's could be called uncool, musty, and dated based on today's very modest improvements in racial equality, what is the target demographic out there that the reviewer is trying to convince to watch Band of Brothers despite it being 'uncool'?