Star Wars - PTTSD

DaveSumm

40 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Tortoise-Prawns

Pretty sure most of those Stormtroopers are dead, and reanimated by the Night Witches.

BTW The lead Great Mother is played by Claudia Black.

That’s Claudia Black!!!  Now I’ll rewatch!!! Aeryn Sun for the win!!!

Now I’m embarrassed I didn’t recognize her.  Her voice is so distinctive.  It should have jumped out at me.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

Off topic, but the two most iconic franchises for me growing up were Harry Potter (saw/read at 7) and SW(saw Sith at 10,first SW movie ever).Which do you guys think is the better franchise,especially for kids ? I think they’re both equally good for me, though the upcoming HP reboot may sour my opinion.

53 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Off topic, but the two most iconic franchises for me growing up were Harry Potter (saw/read at 7) and SW(saw Sith at 10,first SW movie ever).Which do you guys think is the better franchise,especially for kids ? I think they’re both equally good for me, though the upcoming HP reboot may sour my opinion.

Harry Potter reboot??

49 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Star Wars. It's had longer legs and although its themes are simplistic they are relatively robust (anti-fascism, pro-environment, pro-democracy whilst acknowledging its flaws). The franchise has also told a large number of excellent stories in multiple mediums (TV, movies, video games, audio, comic books). It's had more than its fair share of shit over the years as well, but it's shown some willingness to experiment.

Harry Potter is kinda all over the place as a story and its themes are downright bizarre (slavery is okay, actually, and blood and inherited abilities make you superior to everyone else). There's also been a robust failure to expand the story beyond the original saga: anything else in that world feels either like a blatant cash-grab or an act of outright desperation to stay relevant. The new TV show I think is a sign of that and I have zero doubt that Rowling will either write a new novel or will allow someone else to in the next decade or so to make sure the cash drawers keep ringing and she can stay relevant (not that she's going to ever starve).

Both are derivative of earlier works, neither are artistically amazing, but of the two I think Star Wars has longer legs and more interesting stuff going on, and even if its form can dip significantly for quite long periods it can usually recover.

11 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Is there anything in season 3 of The Mandalorian that's relevent for Ahsoka?

That's the one thing I have not watched.

Captain Pellaeon who served under Thrawn has a cameo, along with other Imperials that will likely aid Thrawn in the coming conflict. Some of other bad guy stuff may have some relevance, but can be easily ignored, too. The resolution of the Mandalore plot may have some relevance to Sabine, but not to Ahsoka herself.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just tell new stories. Clinging to these old characters is misguided. 

QED.

But at the same time, I'd you're going to play within the confines of the existing canon, it's time to get Sebastian Stan playing Luke post ROJ...for anything set in the timeframe Filoni is using right now...

This is mostly spoilers so I dunno, look away? Are we doing tags? Do we care? Fuck it I'm doing tags. 

Episode 6:

Spoiler

I had to look up who Wes Chatham played. Damn Lars Mikkelsen must be huge! Chatham is a pretty big guy and Mikkelsen dwarfs him. His voice was also completely unrecognizable. I miss Amos.

Why was Sabine imprisoned? She agreed to go with them. What's she going to do; call for help? They're in another galaxy. Take her weapons, sure, but why is she cuffed and in a cell?

How is it that the Night Sisters can detect a Jedi traversing the expanse between galaxies, The mandalorian who mostly fails at being a Jedi, but not  the two clowns standing in front of them? That look they gave each other when Thrawn spotted it immediately? Yeah, exactly.

Why do... they... talk like... that...

...?

I am now officially (thumb and index finger shape) this close to giving up on this show. Star Destroyers and lightsabers are cool and all but they just don't give me the dopamine hit they once did. And so much of it is fucking excruciating. 

Then again, Wes Chatham's Storm Trooper Armor is pretty cool and maybe there's some magical Jedi goo-ga on this planet*, so I'll tune in until someone starts posting highlights on youtube.

*Which isn't "Tat-two-ine", thank you very much.

I guess I'm the only one who liked this episode. To me, little hermit hobbits and strange mounts are as much Star Wars as speeders, ships, and lightsabers.

I really like how Baylan is a truly gray character, fitting in with neither side and longing for something different. Though I am surprised his apprentice isn't well versed in his dreams. I guess they just need her to be the audience stand in to explain it. Otherwise she'd be saying "at last we shall reveal ourselves and have our revenge" lines. 

The actress for Sabine continues to embody the character. It would be so easy to veer into overly sarcastic, but she's maintained Sabine's lightness. 

Ezra's reveal wasn't as big as I expected.  It felt downplayed or something. Not sure what I was expecting now that I'm tyyping out my thoughts.

Spoiler
21 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I had to look up who Wes Chatham played. Damn Lars Mikkelsen must be huge!

According to Google, Chatham is 6', Mikkelsen is nearly 6'4". They may have done some stuff to exaggerate his height as a Thrawn trait, I'm not sure.

Why was Sabine imprisoned? She agreed to go with them. What's she going to do; call for help? They're in another galaxy. Take her weapons, sure, but why is she cuffed and in a cell?

She could try to sabotage the ship or assassinate Morgan or something. Just because she says she wants to find Ezra doesn't mean she might not have a change of mind.

How is it that the Night Sisters can detect a Jedi traversing the expanse between galaxies, The mandalorian who mostly fails at being a Jedi, but not  the two clowns standing in front of them? That look they gave each other when Thrawn spotted it immediately? Yeah, exactly.

I don't think they failed to be aware that they were Jedi. I took their look to be more about the fact that Thrawn had some knowledge of Skoll in particular.

@Myrddin

I liked it! I didn't love it unreservedly, because I don't think it's a truly excellent show, but it was pretty good on the basis of what it aimed to do.

Edited by Ran

I do like the the new Snail people tribe that adopted Ezra, it's kind of fun to have a race of nomadic snails.   But it is annoying that they happen to be only a day's ride from the location that the Witches are hanging out, but Thrawn still needed to use Sabine to find Ezra.  But I guess that's better than having Sabine wandering the wilderness for several episodes looking for him.

Baylan is definitely rejecting the whole Jedi/Sith mindset and trying to find an older, deeper way to tap into the Force.

8 minutes ago, Leofric said:

I do like the the new Snail people tribe that adopted Ezra, it's kind of fun to have a race of nomadic snails.   But it is annoying that they happen to be only a day's ride from the location that the Witches are hanging out, but Thrawn still needed to use Sabine to find Ezra.  But I guess that's better than having Sabine wandering the wilderness for several episodes looking for him.

Baylan is definitely rejecting the whole Jedi/Sith mindset and trying to find an older, deeper way to tap into the Force.

I don't think he needs Sabine to find Ezra, he's simply getting Sabine (and Baylan and Chin) away from him for a while so they don't mess anything up while he makes plans for whichever combination of those four eventually returns.

It was fun and good and pretty!

Still do not remotely understand why the Dathomir witches are aligning with the Empire, but maybe they'll actually address it.

Also, I 100% doubt for a second that Thrawn would let his troopers be so fucking dirty. I get that they should look repaired and scavenged - I like that look on them and on the ship. But actual dirt? Come on, man. Thrawn has standards to keep up with. 

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

I guess I'm the only one who liked this episode. To me, little hermit hobbits and strange mounts are as much Star Wars as speeders, ships, and lightsabers.

I really like how Baylan is a truly gray character, fitting in with neither side and longing for something different. Though I am surprised his apprentice isn't well versed in his dreams. I guess they just need her to be the audience stand in to explain it. Otherwise she'd be saying "at last we shall reveal ourselves and have our revenge" lines. 

The actress for Sabine continues to embody the character. It would be so easy to veer into overly sarcastic, but she's maintained Sabine's lightness. 

Ezra's reveal wasn't as big as I expected.  It felt downplayed or something. Not sure what I was expecting now that I'm tyyping out my thoughts.

Hey, I liked it as well. This and episode 4 are the only episodes of this show I honestly enjoyed. The first three I found boring and the 5th had too many memberberries, for me to enjoy.